Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Kittens, anyone?

Anyone out there want kittens? Our female cat is, in my humble-non-veterenarian-opinion, going to have kittens any day now. I wish I could say I am as excited as my 11 year old. Some people might think we have been irresponsible pet owners because they aren't spayed and neutered. I thought we would be okay with two female cats and lots of distance between us and the neighbors. I am almost embarrassed to admit this--because I was raised on a farm and was always around animals--but we didn't know we took home a male kitten and a female kitten last July 4th. They were living in a woodpile at a friend's house and were just a little wild. We knew the striped one was a female but we couldn't really tell what the black one was. We caught it once and then it got away. We tried to lift the tail but couldn't really see much. We caught it again and thought it was a female, so off to our house we went with our new mouser kittens on the laps of Holly and Tanner. It was about two months later that Steve had his scouts out here (did I already post this?) and one of them was holding the black cat and telling me how much he liked "him." I said, "you mean her. How much you like her." He said, "Oh, no, it's a boy." I said, "show me." Brave of me, I know. He moved around to show me the back end of the cat and sure enough. . . no denying it! I kept meaning to get them spayed and neutered, but it costs so much money and we don't have a vet close by. Anyway, several months later we are soon-to-be-owners of a litter of kittens. Poor mama cat seems to be so lost. I read that we need to make sure she has food and to separate her from other cats and get a spot ready to have the kittens, but she seems almost panicked every time we go out to the garage. Almost like a pleading. Her stomach is so big it looks like there could be 9 kittens in there. Ugh. Please no!

No comments: