"Oh, the BIG news for the day is that while we were bowling, Elizabeth Smart showed up with some guy (a date, maybe?) and was bowling in the lane next to us. Well, not exactly the next lane, but the closest lane to us where someone else was bowling. There were a couple of empty lanes between us. She looks as dignified and graceful as the last pics I saw of her in the news when she testified at Mitchell's competency hearing. She told of the horrifying things he did to her and it made me want to puke. I know that's the first time her parents heard most of what she had to say. It took a lot of courage to do what she did. I went over to her and said, "excuse me, Sister Smart. I don't mean to invade your privacy, but I just wanted to wish you luck on your mission. I have a son serving in a Germany mission and he comes home in July. If your mom is interested, there is a group of missionary moms who have missionaries serving in that part of europe." She was very gracious and thanked me with a smile on her face. She will be a great missionary! She leaves in November.
I have never written about my respect for her and the dignified and classy way she seemed to present herself at the competency hearing for Brian Mitchell. My heart nearly broke as I read it and thought of what her parents must have been thinking. I couldn't imagine being in their shoes. She seemed very poised.
Have a great mission, Sister Smart! If you can rise above what you have been through, anyone can!
2 comments:
I have to agree. She has overcome many things and has been blessed by her faith in Heavenly Father and the Atonement. She will be a great missionary.
Thats pretty cool. I had to show this to Aaron after you telling us about it last night!
Post a Comment