I haven't posted any pictures of Tanner this baseball season, probably because there hasn't been much to post about. . . until Saturday! These are pictures from throughout the season. The first three are at a game about 4 weeks ago. It's pretty cool because I was actually able to get a picture of him swinging and then the ball making contact on the ground. The team hasn't been so good this year, because this is the first year of them playing together. Their coach wanted to put a team together that will be able to play together for several years, so this year is kind of like a "Bad News Bears" year. I'm sure some of the teams we have played have been playing together since kindergarten and t-ball! This is also the first year of kid-pitch ball and that is always a scary thing! Erik got hit in the back of the neck the second year of kid-pitch and was really nervous to play after that.
I have always enjoyed being able to watch my kids play ball without having any of them play quarterback or pitcher. . . until Saturday. I have always said I would never want my child to play any of those positions because I think it's very stressful. . . on the child AND the parent! Tanner's coach told me a couple weeks ago that Tanner would be pitching if he could focus a little more on the game. Honestly, how focused can you stay out in the outfield at the end of a double-header when you're in the third grade? Well, Saturday there were a few kids missing and at least two of them were pitchers. I couldn't figure out why Tanner hadn't played the two innings before the last one. Coach even asked if he wanted left or right field and I couldn't hear his response. It could have been that he was nervous about being so far out AGAIN and having to run off the field to use the toilet. . . for the third time!
Finally on the last inning when coach was telling the boys where they would be, I heard him say, "Tanner, you're pitching" oh so casually. Yikes! I wasn't sure Saturday would be his best day to be called up to pitch. Don't get me wrong. Tanner's first word was "ball," which was an accomplishment since he was speech delayed until age three. He seems to be pretty good with any ball he picks up. I know the kid has an arm. That's why coach asked him to be on the team, but could he really keep track of the game enough to pitch? WOW! Was I surprised. He was covering home plate when he needed to be, he was threatening the runner on third base, and he struck two batters out! After the second strike-out I heard a fellow teammate yell, "Nice pitching, Tanner!" They also only had two runs while he pitched. That's an accomplishment since the score ended up being 24-5 with the other team winning. That's about what the score usually is. I don't know how many innings they play. They play about 1 1/2 hour games, so whatever that means, inning-wise. I told you they were like the Bad News Bears!
Here are the photos from the season:
He wanted to make sure I got a photo of him!






1 comment:
So fun! And cute! Love that you posted pictures!
Where is Jaren's letter for the week??
Also, I meant to send you a message on your anniversary yesterday. But I was a slacker. Sorry! Happy 21 years and one day! :)
PS - what's mom's po box number??
Post a Comment