Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Better Week

I have been a little worried about Jaren's spirits since last week's letter, but this letter certainly puts those thoughts to rest. This was a fantastic letter. It is rather long, so I hope you have the time to read it.

Dear Familie,
So, good news. This last week has gone better than the week before. Better news, we have been able to get back in contact with William and Charity. Best news, William will be getting baptized on Sunday the 28 at 1:00 right after church! Not only were we able to get back in contact with him, but we were able to find out what had been going on in the last few weeks. First we met with Charity. She has been doing okay, but she isn´t ready for baptism yet. Obviously we have a few things to work with her on during the next little while, especially with what has happened in the last little while with her and everything. We actually found out that it was pretty much what we thought it was. Yeah, Charity had a lot to do with it, but William had a fair share of his own problems to deal with. Nothing big, but large enough to be a hindrance to him. Thank you, Satan, for all your hard work, but  you will fail in the end!

We heard from Charity that William struggles with the phone. Whenever he gets a phone call, it distracts him a lot, probably because the phone is something that they don´t see much in Africa. She told us that he will answer the phone no matter who calls him! He is too nice to say “Can I call you when I have more time?” or “Can I call you a little later?” She then laughed a little bit and said that he would even be doing the dishes and someone would call and he´d forget that he was doing the dishes because he would just keep taking call after call and then nothing would get done! Funny guy. The craziest thing though was I had talked to him on Saturday night two weeks ago once we got to his house. Charity needed a few things, but she said it was because of the phone that he went later. She said to him, “you know that they will be coming at 7:00 right?” He told her yes and said he would be quick. Then I call him once I arrive. Now I had called him about 3 times that day to make sure he was good for 7:00, and so when we got there and he wasn´t there, we were a little frustrated. So, when I did get a hold of him, I asked him when he would be home, and he said in about 20 minutes. We agreed and said we would just do some finding time until he got there. After the twenty minutes were up, I called him again, and he said he wasn´t home, but that the line at the store was very large and was still held up. We told him that we would see him at church on Sunday at 9:00 and he told us that he would do everything he could to be there. Well, you know that he didn´t come, and here is why.  Satan had a wonderful plan up his sleeve for this one.  When we finally met up with William on Saturday, he told us that once he had finished buying all his groceries, he walked outside and the bike that he had was stolen! This was after he had told us he would come to church! Then, he prays that he can find his bike, and on Monday night, the store calls him and says that his bike was returned, but they couldn´t tell who stole it! (Now that's a modern day miracle! I hope he realizes that!)
William doesn´t have a bus pass, and to walk is a pretty good distance for him, and the bike is all that he has. He can´t call us because he doesn´t have money to put more minutes on either of the phones. They can receive calls, but they can´t send them! Well, now that this is all sorted out, William came to church for two meetings this time, and loved it.

We actually sat down with him and with our Ward Mission Leader and planned his baptism and everything that will go on, on that date. We told him what he would have to do before then, and what we would have to do. He was excited to say the least, and this time it should all go through. Our Ward Mission Leader is pretty awesome, and said that he would do everything for us, as long as we just get the last few things done for William; ie, the last part of the lessons, and a review of them, and getting him to church. He is also making invitations for the ward members, for William to give to his friends, and for us to give to our investigators. I am really getting excited. Now, it is natural, and like you said mom, the work has its ups and downs. Sometimes huge ups, followed by huge and seemingly crushing downs, and as long as you do endure to the end of that, it can be most rewarding followed by a huge swelling up followed by joy, excitement, and peace. I am not saying that it is finished, because we still have about two weeks left, but wow, what an experience! One I will never forget!

Well, as far as everything else goes, Schwester Schmitt is still doing okay. I honestly feel that her problem is partly due to the fact that she doesn´t have anyone around her, so it is just nice to talk to someone, and the other part due to her confusion. She lets it get to her to much and it has created a huge mental block for her. She has a hard time understanding things when we explain them as clear as we can. Most of it is due to her experience with the Jehovah's Witnesses. She was at the Family Home Evening yesterday and afterwards she told me, “I can handle any pain or sickness of the body, but I cannot handle pain of the soul.” With that I know that she is really searching, but for what I don´t know. We first have to help with this block with Jesus is Jehovah and all of that fun stuff.  She is also at the moment living to die. It is just interesting to me, she comes to church often, and FHE, but, she still doesn´t understand and sometimes doesn´t want to understand what is being said. But, she has her agency, and I can´t change that for her, it is her decision, and not mine, but I want the best for her.

Outside of that, we don´t have much going on. It has been pretty busy though regardless, and will be till the end of this cycle with the baptism on the last Sunday of it. But all seems to be going well and moving forward regardless of the unforeseen setbacks that have and most likely will happen as it comes closer to the date. I really do feel, though, as it says in D&C 18:10-16 and you probably felt the same on you mission, put your name into it and you see what I mean! “Remember the worth of souls is great  in the sight of God. For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him. And he hath risen again from the dead, that he might bring all men unto him, on conditions of repentance. And how great is his joy in the soul that repenteth! Wherefore, you (Jaren, or Jana, or Steve, etc.) are called to cry repentance unto this people. And if it be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring save it be on soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father! And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will your joy be if you should bring many souls unto me!” (I love the Janice Kapp Perry song about this.) Now, I have thought about that a lot lately. There are many missionaries that work hard and don´t find anyone while they are on their missions. But the experience that they gain in teaching and preaching the gospel will benefit them later. I have realized that. It is all in the Lords hands. The mission is only two years, two years of about an average of 50 years that you are capable of sharing the gospel with others later on in life. It isn´t as dedicated as these two years are, I know, but those skills can help when further opportunities arise later in life.

I think that is one thing I learned since being out here. It is mainly an attitude. Some days it is hard to say, "hey let's go out and talk to people today," when you feel like they won´t listen, or some other thing that I put into my head. Then there are those days that are just wonderful, but it is due to the attitude that I have the minute I wake up. I had an interview with President a couple of months ago when the subject switched to Baptism. I can´t remember what I said about it, but I know I didn´t say, "hey, I´ll just do what the Lord wants me to do, whether or not I get a baptism while I´m here." President Ninow must have seen my thought process then, because he immediately said, “Elder, you are here to baptize.” Now, looking back, its true. There is a difference in saying “I´ll do what the Lord wants me to do, whether or not I get a baptism,” compared to, “I can baptize while I´m here.” Both are true, but one is a limitation. Most often the whether or not part turns into, not. I want to get to the point where I can wake up and say, “today is a great day, lets get going!”  everyday! It is difficult, like I said, but well worth it in the end, maybe the day doesn´t go as planned but it is just another day, and another day to learn and grow.

Sorry this is taking up so much space, Oh well! Thanks for the pictures, and the letter you sent! I read them this morning as I was coming here to do emails. You and Dad always seem to know what to say! Thanks, it helps a lot!
Thanks for the pictures too! It seems like the wedding and party went well, and that Holly had a great time in Florida. Question though, did she go with three boys?! And if so, you left her with them?!!! WOW! Sounds like a fun time though. And, Winston thinks he is so smart doesn´t he, what was Milo doing in the meantime? Hopefully not eating his poop! That was just absolutely disgusting!!!!

Well here we go with the answers to the questions:
Q.  What did you do for your service project a few weeks ago?  Is there something else you can do to serve?  I have found that when I serve, it takes the focus off of me while showing love to someone else.
A.It was actually at the GML´s house (Geminde Missions Leiter or Ward Mission Leader) and cut up and uprooted a couple of trees in his orchard. It was a lot of fun! We did it with the young men and had a blast. It really made them happy and helped us form a friendship with them that we probably wouldn´t form otherwise. Now, we are going to be doing it again, but this time for one of his neighbors who gave a donation to the church to have us cut his trees down.

Q.  Is Elder Norton still your ZL?  When does he go home? Oh, I think his mom said December?
A. Yep, he is still my Zone Leader, and it is really fun, and interesting at the same time. I feel like I haven´t had much change so far on my mission. I am still with about half of my original district members from Hanau in our Zone now. I think that he will be going home in December.

Q.  Who are your Assistants right now?
A.  They are Elder Morgan and Elder Peterson

Q.  How are your spirits?  I hope good.  The thing I have been most impressed with the whole time you've been out is that you are always positive.  I love that about you!
A. They are doing alright right now! It was hard last week, but this week is much, much better!

Well, I hope you all have a great week and I´ll hear from you all soon! I guess the next time I write you I´ll be an old man, 20. That just sounds weird, and it seems old, but Mom and Dad are probably laughing right now saying that I don´t know much, which is true!

Anyway, have a great week! Love you all! Enjoy Life!

Your Son/Brother
Elder Jaren Smith

1 comment:

Cristi said...

THat was probably my favorite letter of all time! Love him!

Oh - and I have to say that only Jaren would say "Thank you, Satan!" Ha ha! He's so positive and grateful!