Sunday, December 13, 2009

SNOW DAY!

We are snowed in today. . . woohoo! When the alarm went off this morning, I looked outside and said, "wow, it looks just like it did last night when we went to bed." Right after that the phone rang and I jokingly said, "hmmm, I wonder if church has been cancelled today." Steve said, "oh, no, there's not enough snow."

It was someone calling to say the first two blocks of church had, indeed, been cancelled and we would only be meeting for Sacrament meeting. We were supposed to get ourselves dug out then help our neighbor. Steve plowed us out then headed into town (about 3 miles) to plow mom out. I went over later in my car to take Erik to meet up with his dad. Grandma was glad we came to plow her out. She would have high-centered for sure in her driveway. After plowing Grandma out and clearing a walking path (well, she had shoveled a path, we just cleared it a little more) and snowblowing her patio, we headed back home and stopped to help others along the way. We have a little Ranger with a plow on the front and it works very well. We didn't measure, but mom and someone else told me there was 14" of fresh snow! We were thinking the weather men were going to be wrong AGAIN because when we were in Heber City and Park City last night, Heber had about 5" of new snow but Park City and us had only a sciff. The boys (Steve included) were highly disappointed. I think their thumbs are beginning to twitch in anticipation of snowmobile season fast (now anyway) approaching!

Here are some photos I took throughout the day.

This is out our front door about 8:00 a.m. Tanner started clearing a path when dad said to hop in the ranger 'cuz they were headed to Grandma's.



Winston, better known as "Dumb," look like an abominable snow dog today. From what I hear, this interfered with his ability to turn the snow yellow. Poor guy! Only a 14 year old guy would notice that!

Milo, or "Dumber," had a snowball-induced waddle going on!
(more about these two in a later post)

The snow at Grandma's house


Erik helping clear the driveway of a member of our ward. I told you there was lots of snow!


The snow at our place in the late afternoon


Could it be the sky is really clearing? This is a parking spot Steve cleared for our upcoming Christmas party. He did a mighty fine job!

Throughout the day, when I would think it was clearing up, the clouds would sink lower and it would start snowing AGAIN. I was beginning to think it was never going to stop! I think it is over with now. . . hopefully!

I can only remember church being cancelled three times in my life and two of those times have been up here. Life is just different at 6,600 feet.

Now, if I could just figure out how to bake at this elevation, life would be great!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Wow! That is alot of snow.. And Aaron thought we had it bad, having to shovel our drive way twice! lol!