Monday, December 14, 2009

Gingersnaps

Yesterday, in anticipation of our Christmas party, I made gingersnap cookies. Lots of them! At least I know we will have about 90, okay make that 80, gingersnaps--unless we eat them all before then. The boys have figured out my goody hiding place in the freezer.

I have to say these are one of my all-time favorite cookies. My kids like them, too. I got this recipe from an older sister who served in Steve's mission. She published a cookbook and gave us one as a wedding gift. I was excited to find this recipe for a soft gingersnap. I am not a lover of crispy gingersnaps, so this cookie is the perfect soft gingersnap.

I took some pictures to show you how beautiful they are, but they turned out a little flatter than usual. Probably because I TRIPLED the batch and didn't add enough flour, but they taste fabulous!

Here is all 100 cookies before the boys discovered them


up close and personal

Here is a close up of the delectable delight

Here is the recipe, which makes about 30-35 cookies

Gingersnaps

3/4 cup butter or *shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses, light or dark
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Mix wet ingredients together. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Roll dough into balls about the size of a walnut; roll in sugar. (I use a small cookie dough scoop, which is what I am basing the number of cookies on.) Place on ungreased cookie sheet or a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies have melted and puffed. Cookies form perfect rounds with traditional gingersnap cracks on top.

*If you would like crispy gingersnaps, use shortening instead of butter.

ENJOY!

1 comment:

Rennie said...

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! Ginger snaps are one of my favorite cookies!