Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Things Are Looking Up!

Dear Familie,

Well, this week has been quite interesting. True, I did have interviews, I believe about two weeks ago, and they were okay. I then had to talk to President for about an half hour last week to tell him about my companion and what I thought would be good for him. I told him that he needs someone who could keep him happy and continue to help him along with the missionary work. So, that is what happened. (This is where I thought Jaren was going to say that they were staying together.) I am getting a new companion, Elder Howell, and from what I have heard, he is a pretty good Elder. I don´t know anything about him yet because we transfer tomorrow. It has been a crazy past few cycles for sure, but none-the-less, Elder Melum is a great guy! I love him, but I need to get myself back on track. President asked me if I would be willing to stay for one more cycle with him, and I told him probably not, but if he thought that's what needed to be done, I'd do it. Guess that wasn`t the case. But Elder Melum is also happy because he has a great new companion, someone that he already knows and likes, and that should help a lot.

But, enough with that! Despite the difficulty, I survived, and so did he, and he has improved a lot.

Aside from the things here, it sounds like life is pretty good at home. I can't believe though that you are doing about 20 plus hives next year! That is several times more work than this year for sure. I think Dad should just retire and run the bee farm now... plus it is far more productive, and for most of the year it sounds like you don`t have to do anything until harvest time! Anyway, it sounds like a fun project and that you all enjoyed it! It just seems like it isn`t real though even with the pictures because it wasn`t even talked about before I left! Now you have already had your first harvest and plan to do more! Nah Ja.

Actually, I have a surprise announcement this week as well. This last Sunday we had stake conference in Düsseldorf, but the Sunday before that, we had Alex Siebers baptism. Now, the other Elders had an investigator who was also present for the baptism. These Elders are over the city center area. The ones that had Alex were over the Moers and Rheinhausen area, to the West of Duisburg. So, this investigator was from the city center Elders. They have taught him now for about two and a half weeks. Two days later they had a lesson with him to which he said that he had been reading a lot in the Book of Mormon over the past two weeks, and had just read some scriptures in Alma and 3 Nephi and then asked the Elders when he could make out a date to be baptized! Well, they were dumbfounded at first, and then tried to test him to make sure he understood what was expected and that he was ready, and made out the appointment. I just interviewed him yesterday for it and he is just great! His name is Herr Schneider. He is between 55 and 60, I can`t remember exactly, but he was a referral from a member who just talked to him one day on the street, the discussion came to religion, and he was very interested. So, the member made out an appointment with the City Center Elders and they have been meeting with him since. All this has happened in less than 4 weeks! This is the 3 baptism in 12 weeks for us. I have not seen that at all since I have been here in this country! The ward has had 5 so far this year, and about 15 over the last 2 years.

I love the ward here because I can look out over a full house every Sunday. That isn`t the case with many wards here. They are strong, and you can see it, and it is evident. Out of all of the baptisms this year, all five are very active and love everything about it. I have noticed that as I have interviewed them. There is something about them that is so good. For one, they were all referrals. Two, they were looking for it, and three, they live it and want to for the rest of their lives. Now that is something we expect them to do, but so many people don`t last very long here. It is due to a lot of things. But from other people I have seen, I sometimes felt like I was forcing it down them. I shouldn`t have to do that though, and it is a waste of time. All of these people wanted it and drank it up, and you can feel that! It is crazy! So, this next Sunday we have another baptism in the District.

I am so grateful to be here and to experience what I have experienced, and to learn what I have learned. The gospel is true and it has brought so many blessings in my life. I can´t really name them all! But the happiness that it brings and the strength that it gives us while in this life is absolutely incredible! I am grateful for all that you have done for me Mom and Dad, as well as the rest of the family. The mission really is an eye opener to this reality. Had I not done this, I would have missed out on a lot of things. I would not have learned some very vital lessons of life either. All I can say to anyone who wants to do it is that it really is indescribable. You have to experience it yourself! It is also different for everyone, yet it is the most worthwhile thing you could ever do in life. I have heard from one elder, and I agree, that the mission is like 10 years of experience stuffed into a two year slot. That is true. Like I said though, it really is indescribable.

I hope that you all have a great week and have a good time and enjoy yourselves. Work Hard, Pray Hard and Play Hard! (This is the way I usually end every letter I write Jaren, but have been so focused on his emotional well being that I haven't written this because I know he already feels guilty about not working as hard as he feels like he needs to be. He hs sort of been in survival mode the past few months.)

Ihre Sohn und Bruder,
Elder Smith

P.S. I have not been the longest companion to serve with my companion. I have actually been with him just as long as the rest of them, (Jaren's companions, not Elder Melum's comps) which was two. So, he is just about normal in that sense. Also, The Christmas Zone Conference is the Third week of December. I can´t remember the date exactly, but it is sometime that week. Hope you have a great week!

1 comment:

Cristi said...

Oh my GOSH! This letter comes as such a relief!! We have been praying for Jaren. I have been praying especially a lot for him in my personal prayers. I could just tell that he wasn't the same from his letters. And then when he said that he had told President that he could do another transfer with his companion, my heart kind of sank for him. But ... this is a little mini miracle! YAY!!