Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Small Change on Transfer Day

Dear Familie,

Well, first off, I am not with Elder Howell, I got a call at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday morning from President as transfers were underway telling me that I would be recieving Elder Bennett instead. I am really happy though to be with him. He is actually two transfers older than me, which is one of the things that I prayed for really. I am tired of trying to figure out things to do. All of my companions for the last ten months have all been younger than me, so this is a very welcome change. I haven´t worked with someone close to my age on the mission since Elder White! Either way, I am glad that the problems are over now. We have a lot of fun and creative things planned for this cycle, which is also great, because it brings change and fun to the work.

I have forgotten to tell you this Mom, but I have been in the Primary for the last 5 weeks or so playing for them because they don´t have a pianist. It is absolutly hilarious. Kids are funny everywhere, even here, and it is so funny and cute to see these kids say the things they do, but in German. For example, the sister that lead the meeting asked all the kids if they had done any service to anyone over the last week. No one raised their hands. She then said, “Well, how many of you have helped a grandparent or a neighbor or your parents in the house, or in the yard or just made them feel better?” Immediately all their hands shot up into the air. Guess it was a missunderstanding of the first question! Then they just kept talking about it, “Well, I did this with my mom, or I helped my Grandpa in the yard, etc...” It was just funny! Anyway, I have been playing the songs for the last five weeks, and now they want me to play for the program. Not too difficult. I don´t mind at all. It seems to be that that is one way I can reach the people by using my talents and donating time to help. I really do enjoy that. I love this ward a lot, and that is one thing Elder Bennett and I are really focusing on this cycle. We want to get to know the families in this ward a lot better because this ward does really well with referring people, at least compared to all the other wards I have seen. So for us it is going to be really effective to try and get to know them personally because the ward doesn´t know the missionaries that well, especially when they have six of them in their ward. Not to mention the fact that we change often! So, I guess we are really going to do our best to donate time and service to the members. Doors and Streets aren´t that effective here, so we have to be that much more creative with our time! So, we will see.

Another cool thing happened this Sunday though. Our ward put on this small program for this Assisted living center and I had to play the piano for them on some songs, others they had a tape to or sang accapella. But, when we were through, the Burgermeister (Mayor) thanked us, and said that he has always been amazed with the church. He wanted to give his regards to the Bishop and said that he has always wanted to visit the church. He then announced that he was going to come next Sunday. This is the Mayor of Duisburg! Pretty cool! The bishop also said that he lives right next to the church, so it is really easy for him to do so. So we will see. But if he wanted to learn more, he lives in our area, and that would be the craziest thing ever. At this point wishful thinking, but you never really know.

None the less, I have enjoyed my time as a missionary. Lots of ups and downs. Lots of learning and teaching. I love this work a lot and it is pretty amazing work. The other day, we were on our way home, and this group of kids were waiting for the same train we were. They were obviously on drugs of some kind, but, one of them was more coherant than the other. At first when we explained who we were, they laughed, but over a small period of time, he kept asking questions, he wanted to know more and more, and had respect for what we were doing. That is usually hard to find here, but I love these people nonetheless. Life isn´t easy here for anyone. Much more difficult to raise a familiy on the standards of the Church here than in America. But We talked to this kid for a few minutes. He really didn´t have much more interest other than that, and he was influenced by his friends, but I could sense he wanted some more. Hopefully he will see that later.

As far as Elder Bennett goes, he comes from good ole´ Blackfoot, Idaho! He is the middle child of three. He is the only boy, so he has an older Sister and a younger one too. Lived there all his life.

As far as the district goes, we all stayed the same except for Elder Bennett and Elder McCurdy. Elder McCurdy was in Saarbrücken for 1 cycle when I was there, so I know him. So, for the most part I know everyone. Elder McGowan stayed and he is with Elder McCurdy. I am with Elder Bennett, and Elder Lofthouse is with Elder Schirner. So that is the District. The Zone Leaders and the AP´s stayed the same.

And, as far as eating appointments go, we have 3 this week, the most I have ever had in one week. I haven´t had more than three in one month, and that was at Christmas last year. I hope I stay here for Christmas this year. Transfers are on the 16 of December, and I really don´t want to change for that, but who knows. What happens, happens.

I love you all and I hope that you all have a great day!

Ihre Bruder und Sohn,
Elder Smith

*Now this is like the letters of the former Jaren that we haven't seen for about 6 weeks or so. It sounds like things are getting better for him!

1 comment:

Cristi said...

Ahhhh, now THERE's our Elder Smith! He's back! YAY!!