Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Running With the Herd

This morning as I was frantically driving Erik up the driveway to hopefully make it to the bus on time, he said, "man, I hope I make it." The clock in the car read 6:49 a.m. I said, "well, what time has it been coming?" He said, "I don't know because Grandma has her clock set in her car to at least 5 minutes ahead." (Grandpa and Grandma S. stayed with the boys last week while Steve and I went to NJ then GA on business for a few days.) I said, "what is it with the elderly setting their clocks ahead?" Erik asked, "does Grandma R. do that?" I said, "yes, but she has been doing it since I can remember, so maybe it doesn't have anything to do with being elderly (sorry, mom, to put you in this category!)" Just as I said that, I looked to my left and saw something moving out of the corner of my eye. I looked over and saw a herd of elk running (jogging is more like it). It was the coolest thing to see! There were probably 40 or so and at least 2 bulls. They have been kind of hanging around down in the river bottoms and occasionally get close to the house, but this nearly stopped me in my tracks. . . er, car! I was at the school a little later and an aid that rides Erik's bus with a student commented on it. I wish I would have had my camera, but I took the battery out yesterday to charge it. Grrr! Holly got some great pics of the herd right outside our circular drive over the weekend and if she uploads to her facebook page, maybe I can figure out how to put them on mine! The funny thing about this is that about 5 minutes after I got back from dropping Erik off, (he barely made it to the bus!) our neighbor to the north texted Steve to let him know there was a herd of about 60 elk in our upper field. What is it about men and wildlife stories?!? He must be a great fisherman! (He is an Area Authority Seventy, so it must be true!)

1 comment:

Cristi said...

Wow! That would have been the COOLEST thing to see! Just seeing a herd of Elk standing around is amazing. But to see them running ... wow!