I have decided to go back to school and I am excited about that, but because I am an older student and don't know what I want to do (even after all these years!), it was suggested that I take a "personality test" to see what careers might fit my personality. After leaving this "interpretation" session, I wondered if I even had a personality. I felt that it was mostly wrong and I worried about it for the rest of the day.
Each of the categories had a possible 30 points. This is where I scored:
Extraversion: people who prefer extraversion tend to focus their attention on the outer world of people and things. I scored 12, meaning I am not an introvert. I agree with this one.
Sensing: People who prefer sensing tend to take in information through the five senses and focus on the here and now. The other side of this is Intuition: people who prefer intuition tend to take in information from patterns and the big picture and focus on future possibilities. I scored 24 on the sensing side. I would say that is a little strong. Although I am not an abstract thinker, I wouldn't say I'm 24 on the sensing side
Thinking: people who prefer thinking tend to make decisions based primarily on logic and on objective analysis of cause and effect. The other side of that is Feeling: people who prefer feeling tend to make decisions based primarily on values and on subjective evaluation of person-centered concerns. I scored 6 on the Thinking side. I would say that is about correct. I barely placed in the moderate side of that one. Moderate begins at 5. I told the guy that I am a common-sense person (thinking) but I also am concerned about how my decisions will affect other people (feeling.)
Judging: people who prefer judging tend to like a planned and organized approach to life and prefer to have things settled. The opposite of that one is Perceiving: people who prefer perceiving tend to like a flexible and spontaneous approach to life and prefer to keep their options open. I scored into the slight area for judging on this. I scored a 4. The guy doing the interpreting told me that judging people tend to be critical (not disagreeing here, either) and that perceiving people are spontaneous and fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants people. I told him I could be spontaneous. . . after everything that had to be done was done! So I guess I don't disagree with this one, either.
I mean, even these number weren't exactly strong in any one area, except for the sensing. Boring personality!
So you might be asking yourself why I have a problem with this test. Let me list a few things. Here are some things listed as challenges for my personality: "You may come across as too rigid or driven during job interviews. You may not respond to new opportunities that are not part of your plan. You may talk too much during interviews and not ask enough questions." I wouldn't disagree with the rigid part, but I'm not sure anybody would classify me as "driven." I'm married to a driven personality! I like new opportunities, because I hate being the decision-maker. Although I could talk to anyone anywhere, I don't think I would talk too much during an interview. I would be too introverted. I know my place!
The biggest "interpretation" I have a problem with is, "You may steamroll over others in your drive to reach the goal." That sounds like a red personality, and I know that's not me! But that's a whole different test!
This will make you laugh and this is the part that I decided, when I looked at it, that I had no personality! Good jobs for my personality:
Protective Services: firefighter, correctional officer, security guard, police officer
Production and Manufacturing: machinist, cabinetmaker, inspector, power plant operator
Installation, Maintenance, and Repair: Hello, I'm not Tim-the-Tool man!
Construction and Extraction: carpenter, plumber, electrician, stonemason
Military Specific: Air crew officer, command & control, radar operator, infantry member (NOT)
Business and Finance: Operations, finance, marketing, human resources (that would be Steve!)
Transportation and Materials Moving: pilot, air traffic controller, driver, freight handler
Architecture and Engineering: mmmm, no thanks!
Yah, see, no personality!
It then gives me a list of Moderately Attractive Jobs with categories like: Sales and Marketing, Computers and Mathematics (hahaha), Legal, and Farming, Ranching, and Forestry.
The most interesting part of this is that the Least Attractive Jobs for my personality are the areas I'm thinking of getting my degree in. I am looking at Behavioral Psychology (I would really like to be a criminal profiler, but the chances of doing that at the Federal level wouldn't be so practical for someone my age, living in rural Utah!), and Community Health, which is probably what I will end up doing because it seems to be the most practical. . . there's that Judging personality coming out!
I was so worried about the results of this test that I couldn't let it go when Steve got home. He read through it all and wondered why I was letting this "test" rule my decisions. I told the guy interpreting this test that I had a hard time finishing it because I knew I was being analyzed and wondered if I was answering all the questions the same way. He even told me that was part of my ESTJ (Extraversion, Sensing, Thinking, and Judging) profile.
Uuuggghhh. . . enough, already!
For those of you who know me best, I would love to hear your "interpretation" of my personality. . . wait, maybe I don't!
2 comments:
That is just great, thanks for letting me know I am not the only one who wants to do things that are not in my "personality." I also don't know what I want to be when I grow up. So many choices.
I know we talked all about this on Sunday ... we talked about it a lot (!), but I just have to put it out here for all the blogging world to see that nothing could be further from the "real" Jana than these results! Ha ha! I think the color code you took Sunday night is MUCH more accurate! :) Love you!
Post a Comment