Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tanner, Unplugged

I haven't taken much time to post here as of late, but today Tanner said something that was cute enough for me to post, so here it goes.

Now, for those of you who don't know, Tanner was speech delayed and didn't talk until he was three.  We took him to Primary Children's for speech therapy for about a year.  I know you wouldn't know that now.  In fact, some times I just want to turn to the kid and say, "Tanner, please just be QUIET!"  The older kids are always commenting on how he will talk to anyone. . . and he will! I used to hear all the time from Holly and Erik, "mom, Tanner is talking to a stranger and has made a new friend," quietly, under their breath. They have been embarrassed by him on more than one occasion. I find it endearing, sometimes. But being around it all the time, i.e. summer, it can get a little annoying.

I dropped some birthday cards off for our Relief Society birthday card sender because she was running low and I ordered some online for her. Tanner doesn't even know this lady but wanted to come in with me. I told him I was just going to meet her at the door. I chatted a couple minutes and the next thing I know Tanner was walking down the sidewalk on his way to the house. He walked in and the first thing he noticed was this lady's mom sitting in a rocker holding a baby. Tanner struck up a conversation. He asked about the baby and the next thing I know, the lady I was talking to (a great grandma to this baby, so the older lady in the rocker is a great-great grandma, probably 90ish) asked if he would like to go "take a peek" at the baby. I said, "Oh, Tanner loves babies!" and off he went. He stood by the g-g grandma and asked a few questions. I have to admit, the baby was a beautiful 6-week old baby boy. Tanner and I talked about how he used to be that size and he thought that was pretty small.

We were finished admiring the baby and heading for the door when Tanner saw something (the ceramic paw print, maybe?) and asked if she had a dog. She said she had two. Tanner wanted to know where they were. She told him they were out back. He then saw a stuffed pheasant on the wall and asked if it was a real duck. The lady informed him it was a pheasant. He asked if she had pictures of the dog. She looked at a couple of the photos there and decided she didn't.  I asked her what kind of dogs they were. She told us, "a German short hair and a Britney Spaniel." We said our goodbyes and headed to the car. While I was backing out of their driveway Tanner said, "We'll have to teach Winston to go ducking soon." I said, "I guess we will have to teach him to go ducking soon." I can't even remember if I corrected his grammar on that, but I thought it was cute.

No comments: