Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Absentee Ward in Saarbrucken

Dear familie!

Well Mom, it sounds like you have had an incredibly busy week to say the least! I am sorry but this will probably be a shorter email this week because I am on a split with the ZL´s again and we are doing P-Day together but in Trier this time. It is actually a really cool city, and it is in our District. It is the oldest city in Germany, and one of the oldest in Europe. There is a building that is completly intact that was built at about the time of Christs birth that they wanted to see. It is called the porta negra. Anyway, I am glad that the package made it and I really appreciated it. I had no idea about it in the first place, so I just laughed when you told me the whole story. It is good to know that not much has changed since I left in the way of forgetfulness. It happens! I do it all the time, thankfully I haven´t forgoten the keys yet, but I have almost done that a few too many times. I have forgotten my bus pass, and only when the bus comes and I realize that it isn´t there! Uuuggh. So I guess I know how it feels, so don´t worry mom, it is the thought that counts.

As far as the week goes it has been pretty crazy. It has been very difficult to try and get anything done with the ward lately because half of the ward is gone on vacation. We only had about half of the entire ward there for church on Sunday. The first counsellor was the only one from the bishopric, the entire Elders Quorum presidency was gone, and the primary presidency and on and on. THe RS was there though! When the ward is small and you have that many people gone, you really feel it. Not quite like it is back at home. So, we are trying to get members to lessons with all of these new investigators, but yeah, we are still working on that. And, to keep it short, all are doing well. Obid is amazing, the only problem he has is getting to church. He isn´t a morning person, and it takes him just as long to get to church as it does for us, so he´d be doing the same thing. We are working on that though! He has great respect for us too. He actually ran into a couple of people in his church who found out that he was meeting with us and they were trying to tell him things about the book of Mormon, mainly that it wasn´t true and so on and so on. His response when I asked him what he thought about it was, "It speaks about Christ, and it completes the Bible." He also told us "sometimes I do wonder if I am in the right religion." It just shows you how open he is, and he really wants to know. He has done everything we have asked him, except to come to church.

As far as this week goes, this is the last week, we get transfer calls on Saturday. I have been told by the ZL´s that I probably won´t be in Saarbrücken. I really don´t know though what will happen. President even said "Elder, you´ve been in Saarbrücken for a while, how do you feel?" I just said "What ever you want to do with me is fine by me, if I am told to stay I´ll stay, if not, I´ll go." He asked if I was sure, and I told him I was. So I have no idea, but I have been here for 9 months now, and I could stay or I could go. THe ZL´s have said though that they don´t know of anyone who has stayed in an area longer than that. I of course have mixed feelings. I will miss this place if I go, and if I stay I´ll still love it!

I am glad that everything is going well back at home. I hope that you all are busy and having fun. It sounds really wierd to hear your stories of going down to visit Holly. In my entire life up to this point I have only visited Grandma and Grandpa, and members outside of the immediate family, so it does sound wierd to do that in the immediate family now. Hope Holly is happy though. She seems to take it well.

Well, enjoy everything, and my the Lord be with you all!

Your Son/Brother
Elder Smith

2 comments:

Cristi said...

Oh no!! I just KNEW he'd be transferred right when he has such a large and promising teaching pool!! And in true Jaren fashion, he's happy go lucky and will follow whatever the Lord wants him to do. SUCH a good boy!

Okay, gotta go now. Jeff is dancing around in front of the laptop and distracting the heck outta me!!!

Cristi said...

I'm waiting with baited breath to hear the results of Jaren's transfer calls! I got up early this morning to check your blog! So keep us posted! :)

Love you guys!