Monday, May 3, 2010

Yummy!

Tonight I was big and brave and cooked something I have only had about three times in my life. . . all because I know it is good for me and I need to expand my interest in veggies. I cooked (drum roll, please) asparagus--and I liked it. I really liked it! I went online to see how to cook it. I was going to steam it but didn't even know how to prepare it (sorry all you asparagus lovers). I found a youtube video of one asparagus lovers favorite ways of cooking the funny looking vegetable. She started with how to trim it. I took each end of the asparagus and snapped it where it would naturally separate the tender part from the fibrous part. I rinsed it and then I put it on a cookie sheet and tossed olive oil on it. I stirred it around to make sure it was all coated with the olive oil, then added sea salt, and a few cloves of chopped garlic. I put it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Mmmmm, it smelled sooo good while it was roasting! We had one of Erik's friends over for dinner and he loved it and Erik tried it and like it, too. Too bad Steve wasn't here. He would have loved the meal. We had salmon (Tanner's fav), sweet potatoes, asparagus, and salad.

The recipe looks like this:
1 bunch of asparagus (I don't know the weight)
olive oil
a couple cloves of garlic, chopped
sea salt
freshly ground pepper

Prepare the asparagus
put on a cookie sheet without overlapping
toss about a tablespoon of olive oil on the asparagus to cover it
add sea salt and freshly ground pepper (not a lot)
sprinkle garlic cloves over all the asparagus

The woman said she sprinkles a little balsamic vinegar over the top, too. I would have tried that, but I couldn't get my cute little bottle of the stuff that we got from Italy three years ago open, so I was outta luck. I need a cork opener and I just threw mine away. . . haha, just kidding. I never had one since we aren't champagne or wine imbibers. Shows you how smart I am! NOT. I don't even know which one requires the cork screw thing!

1 comment:

Effie said...

Jana, I am an asparagus lover! I have the most wonderful stir fry recipe for asparagus. I will e-mail it to you. It is way easy and great with rice.