Thursday, May 6, 2010

Fourth Grade Frustrations. . . AGAIN!

I have been wanting to do some catch-up blogging, but haven't had much time. I am going through my photos getting ready for Erik's Eagle Court of Honor. Gotta do the obligatory embarrassing slide show!

I had my BIL, Jeff, transfer over my photos from my old computer to my new macbook and it ended up being a mess. Sorry, Jeff. I will tell you guys all about it when you come this weekend. Anyway, as if that wasn't a big enough mess, I wanted to delete a folder of photos because I realized it was a duplicate of photos already imported to my computer. What I didn't realize was that there were "albums" within the "folders" that were wiped out, too, so this week has been spent trying to relocate those photos and going through them all. I have no idea why about six copies of each photo imported. . . into two different albums. Ugh! I was able to find the photos again in "imported in last 12 months," which is good, but again, they are duplicates (of several times) and it has been very laborious! Plus now with "face recognition" not only do I have a photo, but there are different up close images of each person in a photo. Those imported several times, too. Anyone know how to highlight several photos next to each other and drag them to an album/folder? PLEASE let me know if you do. I tried calling my dear daughter last night, but she didn't answer. I feel so technologically challenged again. . . except that I did find the photos. All without my dear BIL's help. Yay me!

My biggest frustration is 4th grade. It's gonna kill me if it doesn't make me smarter. . . I mean stronger! Just when I was kicking back on Monday, finally able to relax and enjoy not being in school and spending all weekend doing TWO projects, one of them a major one, with Tanner and grandma (thanks, mom!) over the weekend, Tanner came home from school Monday (actually it was about 6:30 after baseball practice--that's another post for another day) and while flinging stuff from his backpack onto the counter said, "oh, and you're gonna love this. Another book report due on May 19th," with tons of sarcasm in his voice! Poor boy. Poor me! Don't get me wrong. I think book reports are healthy. But this one is a MAJOR one. It says so on the green paper that is stapled with all the information on it. It has to be a historical fiction. Nothing wrong with that, I love historical fiction. It has to fall during pioneer times (specific dates given) and you have to create a word bank of two words per letter of the alphabet, no problem, I'm okay with that. You have to use the word in a sentence and THEN you have to DRAW an ILLUSTRATION of the word. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? That's when I lost it. To me THAT is busy work. We have two weeks notice to find a book, read it and do all of this stuff? In May? Like there isn't enough going on. Who has time for that?!? May is busier than December once you have kids in school! Tanner hates to draw and so do I. Whenever I had a project that required drawing or any kind of art work in school, my mom would be my artist. Hmmmm. . . grandma? I know it's Mother's Day weekend and all, but would you like to do some drawing? (I know you're reading this, mom!) There is no way Tanner can read the required book AND get everything else done in the amount of time he has been given, so guess who will be the reader? That's right--ME! We got started on the book last night. At least the book is good. It's about a Utah boy who gets the job of a Pony Express rider in pioneer times, of course. I am writing words down for the word bank as we go. That part is pretty cool, but I repeat, the illustrations are just a LITTLE overboard!

When I was at the library Tuesday looking for a book for Tanner for this project, the librarian was telling me all about the kind of book it had to be. Thank heavens. I was so frustrated when Tanner brought it home to me I just skimmed over it. She was also telling me how parents coming in were frustrated, too. I told her it's ridiculous when 4th grade is more difficult than the university courses I just finished. She laughed. I didn't!

Speaking of university courses, the EXTREMELY good news is that I ended up with a 3.85 GPA my first semester back to school as a "non-traditional" student. Yay me again! I had no idea I would do that good. Pardon me for bragging, but I have to talk myself up so I can get psyched about the math class I have to take in the fall. Bleh! I understand that the teacher is good, though, so hopefully that helps.

Speaking of talking myself up. . . I subscribe to an exercise journal online called exercisejournal.org and when I went to put my information in from my workout today (trying to get some balance back into my life, remember?) the saying on the home page was "Don't be afraid to be amazing." I LOVE that! It rotates through inspirational sayings every time you go to the home page, so I'm glad I saw it because I don't know when it would rotate through again.

Sorry to have so much to say, but nobody around here is listening and I AM out of school now, so I don't even get to see my new non-traditional student friends there. I need some adult conversation!

Have a great day!

No comments: