We were a day late getting this email from Jaren because it was a holiday in Germany yesterday so internet cafes were closed. Just glad to have received one. Sounds like he had a great p-day. He must have. . . he wrote a separate personal more detailed email to Steve about it, I guess. I hope to be able to read it when life slows down. By then Jaren will be home from his mission and can tell me all about it in person! Next week is his last transfer cycle. Hmmm, I wonder what will happen?!?
First off, I think I told you all last week that I would be writing you today, if not, I am sorry, and I really did forget! It was a German holiday yesterday, and everything was closed, so we couldn´t do anything. Anyway, Elder Weng and I and Elder Lybbert and Lyman had a great P-Day so far. Brother Smith, former member of the bisopric in our ward, offered us a tour of the tarmack at Ramstein Air Base today. So this morning we took as many pictures as we wanted and toured inside a C-17 and a C-5. I also got pictures of me inside the cockpits of both, and a comp. picture of Elder Weng and I in the C-17 cockpit! It was awesome! We also have a lot of pictures that you wouldn´t normally see, like taking a picture from the top of the C-17 because it has a hatch door, so I took a picture looking back at the wing and tail of the plane. We took pictures of the cargo bays of both. The C-17 was outfitted for an evacuation flight for wounded soldiers and the C-5 was just outfitted for a regular cargo mission. We learned that there is no such thing as a simulated mission at Ramstein. All the planes that come in are on real missions from Iraq or else where around the world, and all are taken care of immediately and have to be sent back out as soon as possible. Needless to say, I have lots of cool pictures to show you all later! Probably the coolest P-Day ever. Brother Smith is in charge of the entire tarmack at Ramstein, so all the ground personell are under his command so to say, so we felt really privledged to go and do this "Once in a life-time experience."
Anyway, I really miss flying now, but whatever! We have also had a pretty good week so far. Since combining with the German elders just over a week ago, we have found several new people to teach, and our spirits are much higher now, and we are very excited for the coming weeks. We hope that we can see a pretty good change in the next couple of weeks. Elder Weng and I have already taught a new family, though they are American, but awesome. They have two young kids and were willing to have us come back next week. Their last name is Sabatine. We also found a German family, but we are teaching them the first time on Friday, hoping it all goes through, and another person right after that appointment on Friday. These two were found the same day on the same street, so that was a really cool experience! I was on a split with the Zone Leaders at the time, and they were also very excited for us! More than anything, our attitude is really what will change and affect the attitudes of those we are working with, and though they may not see the urgency the same way we do, or even feel the same way we feel; we know at least how urgent it really is, and that the spirit is really pushing us to do our very best to do it. We are all very happy, and have all of a sudden become very busy. It is a new experience to be working with two different wards at the same time, in two different languages and cultures, but it is a great experience and learning opportunity for us. I am just as shocked as you were when we were asked to do this, but I am grateful we are busy. It is a great feeling! We have over 15 appointments scheduled just between Elder Weng and I, but we will probably start splitting these with the German Elders so we can continue to find and keep increasing our teaching pool. The German Elders are excited about this new thing, but probably not as excited as we are, since they have been here for over 7 months. I really miss speaking in German, and this was an answer to my prayers!
Aside from that, where are the Krittenden boy and Wilkinson boys serving? I don´t think you ever told me, except for the fact that they got there calls the same time, and are entering the MTC the same day. It is nice to see more of the youth leaving for their missions, it is a great experience, and I can say that I am glad that I have gone! Certainly isn´t what I expected it to be, but still to this point in my life, it is the most amazing thing I have experienced and done, as well as the most difficult and challenging!
Well, I hope that you all have a great week! Stay safe and stay strong!
Mit Herzenvoller Liebe,
Elder Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment