Here is Jaren's letter for the week. I haven't been feeling well (emotionally because of the death of a young father whose wife is my friend and whose daughter is a friend of Holly's and physically because of a cold) and I attended RS auxiliary training in SLC today. WOW! Was that ever good! I was thinking of not going and glad that I did. I wish they would have had something specific for the secretary. I have been in the calling for 6 months now and still feel like I am faking it 'til I make it. I have had NO training and was hoping for some. Maybe I will have it figured out by the time I'm released! Anywho. . . here is Jaren's letter for the week. They just keep getting better and better.
Sorry, I pressed tab thinking it would tab, but it sent it!!!! Before I was done, anyway, you can read it again!
Soo good to here from you all again! Well, I am sorry like I said at top that you all have snow to deal with this week, and it is sunny and warm here. Don´t ask how that works since I´m further North than you. It is wonderful though. Honestly, it has rained for the past 8 days straight non stop, not too hard, but it was dark, gray and gloomy. Mom I think you know exactly what I mean. About 10% of the time it is sunny, not a cloud in the sky, and then 40% of the time it is cloudy without rain, and then 50% of the time it either rains or snows. That is Germany for you!
I am sorry to hear about the death of Holly´s friends Dad. It was about a month and a half ago that one of the people that had come to our English class at the church was also killed in a car accident. It just happened, in the most unexpected time. He was only 20 yearsold. His sister also came to the class, but just started to come back since her brother´s death. So I feel Holly´s pain, and the pain of her friend. But on the other side, we can be forever grateful for the gospel in our lives. There is a loving Heavenly Father who is constantly mindful of us and everything that we do. I have learned since being here that everything is on the Lords timing and not mine or anyone elses. So it is with life, we don´t know our time, but it is our responsibility as members to share and live what we know with others who haven´t grown up with this blessing in their lives. It is like I said in my last email last week, I love you all, and I am so grateful for the family. It is truly a part of this great plan. I just saw two young people walking down the street the other day, and Elder White and I heard a little of what they said as they went by, "It doesn´t matter what we do in this life, because its a time to do what I want to do." How wrong that perception is. Knowing the end result of this plan, which is eternal life with those we love, makes all the difference to what we do here on earth. Well, I know it is hard, but like what you said Mom, he was a good man, and accomplished much in his life.
Well, life continues to move forward here in Germany. It has been a long time since I have actually had a new investigator, but, in the next week or two we could be on the verge of a huge breakthrough because we do have a list of people, they just are busy at the moment. Elder White and I are praying that they go through, while in the mean time we continue our search for those who are prepared and continue to meet with those we have know for a little while.
Schwester Schmitt, (Yes Mom, Schmitt is just another form of Smith, but so is Schmidt, so maybe it is the difference from Smith to Smyth) is doing really well. She has made a lot of really good progress since we have been stepping it up with her. She has now come to Church three weeks in a row, and to two family home evenings, and is planning to attend some of Conference if not all! She is amazing and actually fed us this week. She is one of the nicest and most loving people I have met in my life, regardless of the tough life that she has had. She reads in the Book of Mormon all the time and over time it has started to become clearer and clearer to her. So, she is still a work in progress. We did talk a little bit about baptism this last week, and she is a little concerned about going in the font at such an old age! But, we just reassured her that everything would be okay. Haven´t set a date yet with her, but it is almost that time. She has passed the first part of the test so far, coming to church, and being involved more with the members, now it is part two, Baptism. I´ll keep you all posted on that.
We are still teaching William and Charity, but Charity is not doing well and has been taken to Hamburg, in the North for better care and we don´t know when they will be back. I have a feeling that her time is coming. She has not been doing well the last couple of weeks. We have been teaching to William more than her because she is not doing well. It is a very difficult and hard situation right now. We are praying for them. We did teach William last week and he had a really good time. We brought this DVD called, "An Intro to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" and he loved it, but it teaches about all sorts of things and helps show investigators that the church isn´t just Saarbrücken, but really world wide. I think he was touched when he saw the Humanitarian section of the DVD and the aid that the Church has provided for the people in his own country in Africa.
Well, we are doing well here and I love this work. It can be difficult at times, but it is always moving forward and I witness the small miracles everyday. The larger ones come, but I can honestly say that there hasn´t been a day free of some kind of miracle or another whether it has been running into someone on a street at the right place at the right time, or calling someone, or knocking on the right door. I actually got a letter from Grandpa and Grandma Smith this week, actually yesterday, and I replied to it with this quote from President Robert C. Oaks of the Area Presidency here in Europe from our all area conference a month ago. He said this about the people here:
" There is a special spirit over the people of Europe right now...It isn´t a wish, but what I know to be a reality." In the same meeting Elder Dallin H. Oaks said that "Your mission has one of the lowest baptisms per missionary than anywhere else in the world, but don´t let that get you down. Before you can have mass baptisms, you must first have the one." He also talked about praying with a sincere heart and the difference between having a sincere heart doing something with real intent. It was an amazing meeting, having all 160 missionaries, the Europe Area President and his Wife, Elder Dallin H. Oaks and his wife, and President & Sister Ninow as the speakers. But these words keep me going and I know that Europe is not what it used to be even twelve years ago when we lived here. It is changing and changing fast!
Well I´d better answer your questions before I forget, it was quite the list!
Q. How has your first couple days of longer days gone?
A. It has been really nice, but Germans are still German, and all the stores are closed at 8:00 with plenty of daylight to spare, and people stop answering their doors at about 7:30 with even more daylight. But, I don´t really care, we have more work time, and I like it!
Q. When do transfers happen? Are they not at the beginning of the week now?
A. Well, transfer calls are this Saturday, right after Conference, and transfers themself are on Mittwoch, or Wednesday. That is when they have always been. It is our P-Day that always seems to fluctuate during that week.
Q. What is Elder White's families address in Cedar? Maybe we can at least call them when we are there!
A. Alright here it is:
1811 S. Panorama Drive
Cedar City (In the Hamilton Fort area)
435-865-1849 Home
435-590-5834 His Mom´s Cell
1811 S. Panorama Drive
Cedar City (In the Hamilton Fort area)
435-865-1849 Home
435-590-5834 His Mom´s Cell
Q. How is the speaking-only-German going?
A. It is actually going pretty well. I have been reading in German the Book of Mormon and the Bible. I am almost done with Matthew in the Bible and have just started Omni in the Book of Mormon. I can understand most German now, it is just my speaking that is still a little hinderance. But understanding others isn´t really a problem any more. And Southern German is very dirty, so If I can understand them, than I can understand anything! Thanks to living in Saarland!!
Q. What will you be doing for conference? Will you be able to watch all the sessions and where will you watch it?
A. We will be watching it at the ward house here. We can see all the sessions except for the Sunday Afternoon Session. We just see that when it comes out in the Ensign the month after.
Q. Have you heard from Elder Taylor yet?
A. I haven´t, but I need to right him an email very soon to let him know how things have been picking up here.
Q. Have you heard from any of your missionary friends from home?
A. No. I have sent things at about Christmas time. I did send a letter to Kendrick (Elder Shepherd) and haven´t heard back. I know they are busy, but I am a little concerned about the Indian post if you know what I mean. His address is insane, so I hoped it actually made it there!
Well I hope that you all have fun this next week with spring break and all. Glad you have the snow and not me! Tomorrow it is supposed to be about 70 degrees according to a member, so I might be able to wear a short sleaved shirt tomorrow! WHA WHO!!!!
God Loves you and so do I!
Your son/brother
Elder Smith
Well I hope that you all have fun this next week with spring break and all. Glad you have the snow and not me! Tomorrow it is supposed to be about 70 degrees according to a member, so I might be able to wear a short sleaved shirt tomorrow! WHA WHO!!!!
God Loves you and so do I!
Your son/brother
Elder Smith
1 comment:
Wah HOO! I love him. He's so great! What is his email address? I know you've given it to me a million times, but I can't seem to find it! We need to write him!!
Post a Comment