Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sleepwalking?

Dear Familie!

Well this last week has been a pretty crazy week. I was actually really tired yesterday, nearly to the point that I felt I could just start sleep walking and contacting at the same time. It was a little crazy to say the least! It just happens sometimes I guess, but actually Elder White and I have been really busy trying to get a lot of member appointments last week, and to get even more this week. The members have actually responded pretty well, and most really do want to help, but they do have a life to live! So, Elder White and I came up with this little sign-up sheet-like thing and passed it around to the priesthood quorums and also in the relief society so they could write down all the available times that they have through the week. At least it beats calling the entire ward and finding out last minute who can come to an appointment and who can't, who can speak English, and who cant! I had phone-call headache by the end of this last week. But, wow, I can pretty much get across what I need to say in German quickly and move on to the next person! (So nice to hear his German seems to be coming along!  Just in time to train, hey?)

Well, on another note, we have met with quite a few of our investigators this week. Unfortunately we haven´t met with Stefan yet, but we have kept in contact with him. He says that he hasn´t had the best health lately, but has told us that he is really trying to stop smoking and still continues to read in the Book of Mormon. We continue to pray for him though, but at least we have been able to keep in contact with him somehow. Now we just need to actually meet with him again in person! But, to say the least, he is an amazing person. One of many that I have met since I have been here on my mission.

To answer your question, Charity is the one that was sick. She actually is making more progress now, and is more alert than ever! She was just kind of there when we taught before, but it was mainly to her brother William. I mean kind of there because she just sat for a few minutes, or just walked in and out of the room as we talked to William. Now, it has turned around a lot. William is still there, but she is always present, and asks a lot of really good questions. She wants to come to church really bad, but often does not have the strength to go. Yesterday, we gave her a blessing, and she was really grateful for it. We pray that she will have the strength to overcome her weaknesses and sicknesses and come to church, and to read in the Book of Mormon. She has done a lot. She struggles a little bit with smoking, but as far as I know she doesn´t smoke a lot. But, we made a promise with her, that for every cigarette that she smokes, we will do 5 push-ups. We thought that might give her encouragement and strength to know that we would have to suffer physical pain, but only as a small lesson of what Christ has done for us. He literally took upon himself our pains and sicknesses and afflictions and sorrows. It is already done for us. We just need to tap into our faith and believe that Christ can heal us if we just ask for it! So that is the plan with her. William actually made it to church this last Sunday and loved it. We had Sister Niesen translate for him. He told us that he felt touched by the speakers, one of which was Elder White! It was great to have him there. He went home and told Charity all about it!

We are continually making progress with Schwester Schmitt as well. She was at church on Sunday, also. So it was a little busy for us this last Sunday, well, busier than normal. She actually loved the meeting as well. We had her sit by Schwester Schröder, who is always a great help to us! We actually taught Sch. Schmitt the plan of Salvation for who knows how many times, but this time we had Sch. Tschierschwitz there with us, and after a great lesson on the priesthood the week before, she was more willing to listen, it seemed. Sch. Tschierschwitz is our GML´s wife (Gemeinde Missions Leiter or Ward Mission Leader). She is great. I think I told you that she really reminds me of Robyn Bechtold, the personality is really similar. She is just really funny and great to be around and a great help to us as well. (Robyn, I hope you have read all these wonderful comments about you. I guess you know how much Jaren likes you!) It is really funny though, it seems that whenever we are about to answer a question from Sch. Schmitt, she tries to go off on a tangent. But, we just kindly remind her that we are about to answer her question, and she gets back into the listening mode. It is just something that she picked up from the Jehovas Witnesses. They are taught to distract from the point or topic if you don´t understand, fear that you are actually feeling something from the spirit, or feel that you are cornered, to divert it back to Jehova, or the 144,000. It gets really interesting sometimes teaching Sch. Schmitt, but we always bring it back to where it needs to be, and she always has really good questions afterward. It is really unfortunate that this religious group focuses more on fact and small insignificant things that really don´t matter. We don´t need to know the name of Jesus Christ (Jehova) to be saved, and God doesn´t number those who will be saved before hand. It is up to us. Anyway, I think you get the point. And so, we are trying to build real faith with Sch. Schmitt, and it will take time, but it is working!

Well, before I get your questions answered, I´ll ask mine: (hey, it's my job to ask the questions!)

Q. How often do you have to check up on the bee hives?

Q. How do you separate the honey from the comb?

Q. I heard that one honey bee needs to go and return to the hive 100 times in order to produce just one gram of honey, is that true?

Q. When are you going to set up your farmer´s market at the end of the driveway Dad?

Q. How are you going to store the honey until you sell it?

Q. I am so sorry for all the questions, but I just have to know! But, could you send me some honey when you get some?

(He is a funny guy. Sounds like, from the last letter, that he has spoken with other missionaries about our bees. I didn't know it would stir up so much interest. Maybe I should stop writing about the bees and let him focus on missionary work. . . any suggestions on that?)

Alright, now for your questions!

Q.  Why haven't you seen much of Stefan lately?  He is about my age--does he have a family?
A.  I don´t think that he has a family. He does visit his parents often, on the weekends though.

Q.  What are the plans for the Ninow's just-returned-son?
A.  I have no idea. He is actually planning on being here for a little while. I think I told you that he came back from Taiwan and speaks Chinese. As soon as he was released here by the Stake Presidency, he was called to help head the missionary work in the Frankfurt International Ward, mainly with the large group of Chinese people there.

Q.  Isn't Charity the one that was so sick?
A.  Yes, but she has the desire now, and she is still pushing along!

Q.  I probably won't be able to get anything made for a companion between transfers and zone conference because I won't know what your comps name will be. Does that let you know that I don't think you will be with Elder White any longer?  I think you will be training. What I will probably do is just send some good ole American candy.  I know that sounds strange when you have such wonderful chocolate there, but it just depends on what you enjoyed growing up, I guess. (Okay, so not really a question, I guess!)
A.  DON`T SAY THAT! Well, okay, training would be fun, but I really don´t want to leave here! Who knows, I could train here! We will just have to see, but just like it was when I was transferred in Hanau, we both had the same feeling, and I think we both have that feeling again. Weird how that works. I have been here for a while though, now that I think about it, 6 months! But, I have heard of a few elders that have stayed for 9 months in one area!!! I really wouldn´t mind staying here for another cycle though, but it isn´t in my hands, only the Lords. (Did I say anything about him leaving Saarbrucken? He doesn't have to leave the area to train, silly boy!)

Q.  Any idea when the Mother's Day call will be?  Have you heard any direction?
A.  I should be calling sometime on the 10, so Mother´s Day. Just haven´t heard too much yet, but I´ll let you know. I guess you could just plan on the same thing as last time. I´ll have the same number. It really seems weird to be calling again! It doesn´t feel like it was 5 months ago! (Because my birthday is so close to Mother's Day, I like to think he will be calling for both, so it's double excitement for me! Then we have to go 7 long months until the next call.  .  . sigh:)

Well, I hope that you all have a great time this week, thanks again for the pictures! They are great. Erik, Happy Birthday! Zum Geburtstag viel Glück! Can´t believe your 14 already, and as tall as Dad now!

Your Son/Brother
Elder Smith

1 comment:

Cristi said...

He sounds so good. I can't believe he'll be calling in a week or so!!