Sunday, August 10, 2008

County Fair. . . or not!

I was looking forward to uploading pics from the Summit County fair that the boys and I attended Friday.  We have some friends that are involved in 4-H Livestock and I thought I would give my boys a little exposure to what I experienced as a child!  That's right, I had pigs, sheep, and a dairy heifer in 4-H Livestock in my youth and I had a lot of fun with it.  My favorite was pigs.  It was always a sad day when I sold the animal that I had worked so hard to groom (sounds like an oxymoron, I know) and spent hours teaching to lead.  They become like a member of the family.  You buy them as babies, then care for them for several months, leading up to the culminating event of the sale at the county fair.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  (That's amazing since the memory seems to be deteriorating since reaching 40!)

WOW!  Have times changed.  I don't remember my sheep and pigs being as big as the sheep and pigs I saw on Friday.  These were like animals on steroids (even though I know they weren't!)  They were HUGE!!  My mom was with me and I kept asking if our animals were that big.  She assured me they weren't.  Now, she has a memory like an elephant, so I know she would remember!  I took pictures because they were so BIG and there were so many.  The Adams County, Idaho, 4-H Livestock alumni would have been shocked!  There were about 120 sheep.  I know this because my friend's girls were in groups 5 and 13.  There were 14 groups with 8 kids each showing sheep!  Are you kidding me?!?  Tanner got bored waiting for everyone to show their sheep, so grandma and I took him on a tour of the other animals.  We started in the steer barn.  Not so many of them.  I forgot how big cattle can get until I got so up close and personal in the steer barn!  Tanner did not want to linger there, he was concerned they would kick him.  We then went to the pig barns and there were so many pigs.  Now, as much as I love pigs (they were my favorite, remember) they were a little intimidating because of their size.  I know I have never been that close to a pig of that size!  I took pictures of the pigs because of their number and size.  The high end of the weight limit for pigs was 310 pounds.  I'm not sure they were even 200 pounds back when I had them!

Next we strolled through the sheep barns and then on to the poultry and rabbit barns.  Tanner, of course, wanted every bunny (rabbit) he saw.  Thank heavens he didn't see the "bunnies for sale:  $15 each" sign!  He got distracted by someone else in the aisle and I threatened grandma if she said anything!  

After that we found our way to the 4-H foods, clothing, misc., and the community displays.  Tanner was bored, so he asked if he could take some pictures with my camera.  Now, my camera is not one of those little slim cameras.  It's one of those big ones like you used to put film in, only it has a card.  I told him he could do it if he put it around his neck.  He was snapping away and having a great time and it gave grandma and I time to look around.  I took the camera for a minute to take a close up of a cute twist on the way to tie a fleece blanket.  As I took the camera away from my eye, I noticed it said, "image not stored."  No, this couldn't be!  None of the pictures we took that day stored.  I couldn't believe it. . . I was so excited to share them with you!  So, you get the county fair, just no pictures!  Sorry about that.

Look for a post Tuesday or Wednesday about Jaren's mission.

2 comments:

Cristi said...

Jana! Dang it!! I can't believe your camera didn't get any pictures! Did you not have your card in there? Oh well!

I wish I would have known about the fair! I would have loved to come up! I really miss the Adams County Fair and Rodeo. I know it sounds so weird to say that, but I do! It was one of my favorite parts of the summer at home! So ... next year, invite me, okay? :)

Can't wait to get Jaren's letter update!

Cristi

Jana's Family said...

yes, I had a card in there, but I noticed after awhile that it said "image not stored" in the viewing space. We tried a different card later and it worked fine, so it must have been a bad card. They were funny pics, too!

It was kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing to go to the fair or I would have invited you, plus I thought that was the day of Jeff's party, also. I am so confused. . . see what happens to the over 40 brain!