I was happy to get this letter and know that Jaren was able to enjoy at least some patriotic something while in Germany. I don't know anyone else more patriotic than Jaren! I can't believe we see him in NINE days! Woohoo! I can't believe I haven't yet crossed off day 10 on my countdown calendar. I need to do that right now! I hope everyone had a wonderful patriotic 4th of July celebration.
Dear Familie,
Well, yesterday was a fun day. A lot of people were gone from church, and the one playing the organ called me on Saturday night and asked if I could play the next morning on Sunday. I agreed to it. We sang "My Country tis of Thee" and the "Star Spangled Banner". It was quite interesting to my German companion to be in an American Military Ward and sing the anthem. To a german that is wierd. They sing theirs when they play soccor, and that is pretty much it. They aren´t allowed to express their patriotism much more than that. Germany is also in the World Cup right now, and they have made it to the Semi - Finals. Our work is getting much more difficult due to that as well right now. People either get mad at us or won´t even open their doors during the games! But I have to say that it is pretty cool to walk down the streets and many people have German flags hanging out their windows. People just shoot off fireworks and blow air horns and screem and honk their car horns for a good hour or so after the games end! It is fun to watch, but also very loud if you can imagine.
As far as the 4th goes, it was pretty fun. I´d admit, I was pretty scared to go and play the national anthem in front of a bunch of people in the Military. If you mess that one up, there is no forgiveness! But I guess I did okay. A few people asked me on Sunday how long I had left, and when I thought about it, it really hit me. It doesn´t seem true to me. Time has flown by, at least overall. I have really enjoyed the time out here. I say time has flown by, but of course there have been times on the mission where that wasn´t always the case. It wasn´t always easy. I´d even say that the last two years that I have spent here have been the hardest two years of my life to this point. So many emotions, so much energy, so much love shared, so much learned, that it is hard to really describe to someone what I have felt. Really, if anyone is contemplating going on a mission in our ward, if they really wonder if it is the best thing for them, well, all I can say is the Lord has commanded we should. I´ll be honest, it isn´t fun and games, but it is the most rewarding thing that I have done up to this point in my life. It hasn´t been until I have come on a mission that I have been willing to give a little back from what I have learned. I had spent 19 years living the gospel in a home where it was taught and where I was brought up. I couldn´t fully comprehend the blessings that I had been given. Now, two years later, I know how much this gospel has affected me and my life. It truly is an inseperable part of my life! I can´t imagine living without it! I´m going to miss the little day to day miracles that I have witnessed, the people that I have come to love, the language, the culture, the food, pretty much everything to do with this country. I hate how much of a seperation there is between the U.S. and Germany. I told my companion I don´t want to go for that reason. I wish I could just come and go whenever I wanted to. I´d have to say that Elder Weng has been one of my favorite companions so far. I haven´t said that to any of you, but he is just amazing! He is the second German companion that I have had. I consider myself lucky in that sense, especially knowing that he is one of five in our mission right now. It´s because of he and Elder Heller that I really want to come back here!
Anyway, I have just gone on blabbing. I do have another question for you though, but, do you know what the plan is for my release? All I know is, I have to meet with the stake President when I get back, but it won´t be that night. So is it Friday or what? I don´t know if you even knew about that or not, but yah, it is something I guess that I have to do. Anyway, enough with that.
As far as our week goes, it is rather crazy and full. We are meeting with a lot of members and investigators and I have to do a lot of stuff as well like un-registering from the country and getting my visa extended because the office didn´t have it made out for right departure date. Fun. NOT! So, hopefully that goes well. Supposedly everyone in my group has to do it to so that makes me feel a little better.
For your question, as far as traditions go, we go with the Ninows on Wednesday to the Temple as a group, and then we go to the Ninow´s house for dinner and a testimony meeting, or the Frankfurt Stake Center (depending on the size of the group) and then that is it. From what I hear, we have time to talk to the other missionaries from our group as well. So, I guess it sounds very similar to what you experienced.
Well, I hope that you all have a fabulous week! Have fun at the wedding, and have fun doing everything else. Be safe and have fun, work hard and play a lot!
Dein Sohn,
Elder Smith
1 comment:
Hi Jana,
That is so exciting that Jaren is coming home! I will miss his letters, they have inspired me and lifted me up many times.
Who is getting married? Hope you have a great summer-I know you will with your missionary home!
Love to you all, Rebecca
Post a Comment