Today was my first day of class at the university campus about 30 minutes away from me. I didn't even have to take a Xanax before class! My stomach wasn't even doing flip-flops. I found that I was excited. And then I walked into class. And I saw that there was a different professor than I was expecting. You need to understand that I went the American Civilization route instead of the Political Science route based on what the administrator of the campus told me. I had 4 options to choose from. Two were History and two were Political Science. I read the description for each class and told the administrator, Tom, "I've read the description of each class and those history classes look waaaaay to work intensive. I think I will go the Political Science route." A guy walked into the office that Tom and I were meeting in and spoke to Tom for a minute. After I told Tom I wanted to go the political science route, he said, "did you see the guy that was just in here? He is the American Civ professor and very well liked by his students (he was a young guy and I would never have guessed that he was a professor.) Our political science professor has a bachelor's AND a master's in political science, plus his JD and practices law." I said, "American Civ sounds great to me!"
So that's why I became a little nervous when I saw a different professor in front of the class when I arrived. I thought, "maybe he's just a substitute for Walker for today," but then I saw the screen at the front of the class and it had his name on it. I decided to stay and hear what he had to say. I think it will be an okay class. Based on him making a comment about his age in relation to when the Berlin wall went up, my guess is he is 2-4 years older than me. . . ha! I now know when the Berlin wall went up because the prof showed us a clip about it. I put my detective skills to work in figuring out his age. Go me!
He told us he came from another university in which he was used to having 800 students in each class. . . a few less than our 20-25 that showed up! He said that most of us will get A's and B's. This is my kind of class! He then went over the syllabus and we have to watch movies from a list he gave us and do an oral presentation and a paper on that movie. It sounds like watching movies will be sort of regular in his class. The first one we HAVE to watch is "Christopher Columbus: The Discovery." I need to get that one in before class on Monday. Good thing Erik signed up for a Netflix 2 week free trial and forgot to cancel before they charged him for the first month! I told him I would reimburse him for this month since I have to watch movies. He saw the list and started adding them to his "queue" in Netflix. He is more excited than I am!
No, I can't say I got much reading done for this class. My Word for Mac's arrived today and I got sidetracked loading that on my new laptop. I did try to get some reading done, but I was getting very sleepy. I need to figure out how to read and stay awake!
I will let you know how English 1010 goes tomorrow! I saw the professor in the bathroom today and she looks nice. . .
1 comment:
Didn't know you were going back to school - good luck! You'll do great.
Post a Comment