Friday, January 8, 2010

English 1010

I posted about my first day of American Civ. . . now I need to tell you about English 1010. I decided after my class on Wednesday that I would sit in the middle of the row or toward the back of the class so I could see people better. Even doing that, people sat behind me. The prof joked before class started that she felt like she had the plague because the first two rows were empty. Lo and behold I knew one person--a girl from Drill Team. She danced with Holly. I was wondering if this prof would ask us to tell a little about ourselves because, after all, it is a writing class and I know from Holly's experience with English last semester that they interacted with each other in class and wrote about themselves a bit. We didn't do that in American Civ. . . the prof was way too into himself for that! haha

The prof called names from the roll and when they read my name, Sami, the girl I know, looked at me and then looked away really quick, but I caught her looking and waved at her. Come to find out, Sami wasn't the only one from SSHS. The two sitting behind her were, also. One was her cousin.

We did actually tell a little about ourselves. It was nice to hear each person's story. We told where we came from, why we were there, and where we were going. Sound familiar to anyone? jk We did do those things, but the "where are you going" thing was really our majors. I had to admit to the class that I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grow up and that I don't know any more now about that than I did at 18! I settled on two majors: Community Health or Behavioral or Forensic psychology. I guess that is really three, but hopefully by the time I need to choose a major I will know what I want to do!

The thing I LOVE about this class is the diversity. I was NOT the only non-traditional student in the class. There are about 7 of us. . . woohoo! There are a couple of guys and one girl that have probably been out of high school 10-ish years, one has been out 16 and then two of us are about the same age. I guess that only adds up to 6!

I have spent about three hours over the last couple days trying to find "Christopher Columbus: The Discovery" movie to watch by my Monday class. The prof said we could get it from Netflix. . . WRONG! It wasn't until I had put about 2 hours into the search and called Blockbuster to ask about it that I found out it was VHS and not a DVD. I can't even by the darn thing on amazon.com. I can't find it at the 5 libraries I called. What is a girl to do? My last resort is the SSHS history teacher, who happens to be in our ward. Hopefully he has it stashed away somewhere. Who still has VHS? Oh, yay, mom does. I guess if I find it in VHS format I can watch it at her house.

I just have a little bit of reading to do before each of my classes next week.

Now, on to the cleaning and laundry. Ugh!

1 comment:

Cristi said...

I hope your classes continue to go well! I'm glad you weren't the only "oldie" in there! Ha ha! :)