I haven't posted anything about our recent trip to Manhattan. I guess I don't think much of it (writing about it) because we have been several times and there really wasn't anything new to write about. Then I thought of something. Holly, Steve and I were walking along 7th Ave on our way to Times Square when I over heard a conversation a man was having with his child of about 7 or 8. The man said something to the effect of, "it's a good thing we don't live in New Jersey. . . there just isn't anything to do there." I sooo wanted to turn around and see if he was serious, but I know he was! I didn't hear anything more after that, but I was thinking,"wow, what would he think of how rural it is where we live?" Does living on 60 acres in the west mean we don't have anything to do? Those poor folks in New Jersey!
Holly, Steve, and I left on this trip on Saturday, August 15 and arrived back home on Wednesday the 19th very late. The day after we arrived was the first day of the first heat wave of the summer for them and it was still happening when we left on Wednesday. We usually go to NYC in Jan/Feb or the fall. NYC in the winter is not a fun experience, either. I'm thinking either spring or fall is the best time to go.
We saw Wicked and Mary Poppins while we were there. We saw Wicked in London a couple summers ago and I enjoyed it, but this time it brought me to tears when I heard "For Good." Mary Poppins was fabulous for its set changes. Oh, and also, Bert walked up the side of the stage, across the top, and down the other side and when Mary Poppins left the stage at the end of the production before the cast took a bow, she exited up and above the crowd to a beam at the top and then came back on stage in time to take her bow. After the standing ovation, the cast finished with a rendition of "supercalifragilisticxpealidocious" with actions. It was wonderful. If you ever get a chance to go to Broadway, that is a must-see show!
I haven't seen anything from Jaren yet this week, but I know from some of the posts from the missionary mom website that zone conferences were going on this week and that letters could be later. Why is it my son never mentions these things? I haven't been worried enough to email the mission president yet, but I might if I haven't heard from him by the end of his day today!
1 comment:
I still think about how crazy it was that we ran into you in NYC when we were there a few years ago. I couldn't believe it when the girls said they saw Holly on the subway. Small world in a big city! Sounds like you had a very fun trip.
Post a Comment