Here are some things I have thought about since my last posting about drill team.
I was looking through the sports section Sunday to find out how 4A/5A results turned out at the state competition over the weekend and saw the results but not an article. I read some of the comments and a few of them were, "and this is in the sports section because. . .?"
Let me tell you why it was in the sports section. I have never seen a more dedicated TEAM at the high school level than the drill team. I have also never seen any other TEAM practice more and longer, than I have seen the drill team practice since my daughter has been on the TEAM. They start practicing the week after school gets out for summer break. They have a week long camp away from home and a week long camp at home. They are dancing all day long for five days at each of these camps. These girls have practice every weekday morning at 6:00 for two hours, starting in June! They dance at every home football game and 2 or 3 basketball games a week in addition to their regular practices. January was competition month, which meant two-a-day practices about three days a week. So, in addition to their 6:00 a.m. practices they would have practices after school and sometimes after a game where they had just performed. Did I mention that there is still homework to be done and jobs for some of these girls?
Just when I think the season is over (like now), I am informed that the girls still need to perform at 2-3 games each week. My daughter, who is injured right now, isn't even able to dance, but is dedicated to her team, so plans to be there for the performances and first period dance class. The thing I am excited about right now is that 6:00 a.m. practices are over. Now Holly and I get to have an extra hour of sleep. She is usually able to get herself up the first couple of months of practicing at 6:00 a.m., but has a more difficult time as the sleep deprivation sets in, which means her mother (that would be me!) gets up about 5:10 to make sure she gets up. By the time competition season arrives we are both sleep deprived. I am already feeling better just knowing I get an extra hour of sleep every morning! woohoo!
So that is why the state drill TEAM competition was mentioned in the SPORTS section. One of the dad's commented that his drill team daughter practices harder than any of his children who are on REAL teams, like football, soccer, baseball, basketball. Amen, brother!
Oh, and did I mention that their coach announced Saturday night on the way back from state competition that she won't be back next year because there isn't enough support from administration?!?
Thanks for letting me vent!
No comments:
Post a Comment