Monday, June 13, 2011

Boise 70.3 (The Half-Ironman)

I had the opportunity to experience the Boise 70.3 on Saturday--just not first-hand. Jamie, my best friend from high school, and Stephanie, a friend of hers from Juneau, both participated in it. It took place in Boise, Idaho. I took my friend, Shelly, along with me. She said it took her back to the first 15 years of her marriage when her husband would run marathons and they traveled around to those.

The 1.2 mile swim was held at Lucky Peak Reservoir. After the swim, the participants started shedding their clothes as they ran up to where the bikes were kept. There was a transition area (the stripping station or T1)) where the participants got out of their wet clothes and into biking shoes. They then found their bikes (they were organized very orderly in the bike area.) I don't really know what the bike path was, but it was 56 miles and roads were closed all over Boise!

After the bike portion of the race, the participants switched (transition 2 or T2) to their running gear. They then ran 13.1 miles (yes, a half-marathon!) around downtown Boise and finished right out in front of the hotel we stayed at. It was a very cool event to witness. Below are some pictures of the event. I will do my best to explain them!

This is the hill that the non-participants had to climb to get to Lucky Peak Reservoir, where the swim portion was held.

These are just the on-lookers waiting to witness the swim portion. Shelly and I stood up here to try to find Jamie and Stephanie. We spotted them about 7 minutes before the swim portion started and ran quickly to tell them "good luck."

There they are! Right after this is when we ran, literally, to get to them before they had to get to the start line. On Facebook I put that Traci (another Council girl) was "buttering up" this strange man, but I guess she was actually zipping up his wetsuit : )

Traci-in white top, Jamie-in blue cap, Jill (a friend of Jamie and Stephanie's) and Stephanie-behind Jill in the orange cap. These were the colors of their "under caps." Their "division caps" were purple. They were both in the 40-49 age division.

This is their division waiting for their turn to go to the dock and get in the water. The pro men went first, then two minutes later the pro women went, and three minutes after that, the 40-49 women went.

Here they are a little closer up

One of the pro divisions starting

The other pro division

Jamie and Stephanie are out in the water somewhere. Over to the right of the photo, towards the front. Good luck, ladies! At this point I would have peed my pants (or wetsuit) but it wouldn't have mattered, I guess, with all that water around!

They're off! I wonder at what point Stephanie wondered what she had gotten herself into?!? Just a side note--Stephanie's strong event is swimming. We knew to look for her about 35 minutes after their division started, or when the clock said 40:00 because they started 5 minutes after the pro men, remember?

First man out of the water. A 25 year old. See the time on the clock? He was out of the water in about 23 minutes! Impressive!!

Talk about inspirational! This man rode a bike that uses your arms to "peddle." I have another picture of him finishing the "running" portion.

Stephanie did not disappoint--out of the water in 35:35. Go, Stephanie! You ROCK!

Jamie ready for her strong event! You go, girl!! Swimming makes me tired. I would have been ready for a nap : )

This is the transition station (T1) or the "strippers" as we called them. Probably the best job of all the volunteers for this event!

I wish I would have taken these bike photos closer up. The signs have the participant #s on the rows. This row is 1400 something through 1500. Jamie's # was 129 and Stephanie's was 158 so they had to run up towards the front of the bikes, change into their biking socks and shoes and get their helmets on (am I forgetting anything, ladies?) and go, go, go!

see all the bikes? Again, I wish I would have thought to zoom closer. I just held my camera above my head and shot and didn't think to zoom before.

Jamie about 100 yards away from the finish! What an inspiration! She said she didn't want this lady to beat her, so she sprinted. I'm not sure this is a lady : |

I can't believe she's still standing!! Now go get a burger, Jamie. Oh, and a gatorade!! Nice job! 9th in her category!! Finished the bike portion in 4th place and 9th in the running portion. She finished about 35 minutes faster than last year (and she's another year older--AMAZING!!)

Shelly and I came away totally motivated to get more fit! This morning I actually tried the Kettlebell workout I ordered a few weeks ago. I LOVED it! I wonder how sore I will be tomorrow? I want to go to a Zumba class tonight at the Rec Center and see what that is like. Zumba classes are held Monday and Wednesday nights through the summer. I've heard great things about them. Go me : )

1 comment:

Effie said...

Jana, I am glad that this motivated you. It totally made me exhausted and I only read about it! Wow amazing people!
Hey Kellie and I are thinking about going to Gunnison and seeing Sis. Stewart. You interested in going?