Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Five Weeks Left!

Here is the letter for the week. All I did was mention that I had counted the days until his return while I was in church and how irreverent that probably was. I DID tell him the number of days--as if he didn't already know! I followed it up with something like "work hard until the minute you step on that plane!" I told him I didn't want him getting trunky and not working!

Dear Familie,

Well it has been an okay week, transfers went well, seeing how nothing changed for me. Mom, why were you counting down the days?! It isn´t helping! I´m trying to stay diligent, and that doesn´t help! But I still love you all, I guess my reckoning of time is slightly different than yours. Two years flies by, but I don´t know what it has been like for you. I guess I wont really know though. Anyway, enough with that stuff!

Our week was a bit slower due to transfers, the fact that Elder Weng was sick, and yeah. We did have a cool experience though. First I have to back up for a little bit, to about two weeks ago. I´ll tell the story like I did to one of the members in our ward. "Two weeks ago we did finding time in a town not to far away from Kaiserslautern. We had the German Elders with us as well, and so we just split up and went in two different directions. We did okay, found a guy that we have been going by on since, and they found a family to go by on as well. We beat the other elders back by about a minute or so. We then saw this kid go by on a skate board, and then the other elder´s intercepted him on the street corner. The kid actually stopped them. Elder Weng and I watched them talk for a few seconds and then they eventually came back to the car. Come to find out, this kid was a member. His name is Austin, and just turned 16 in April. His family comes from South Carolina, but are divorced. His Dad is not a member, nor is his step-Mom, but his mother back in South Carolina is, and that is how he grew up in the church. Since being here in Germany, he hasn´t been to church, so for about two years. He remembers the church vaugley, and Sunday school and such, and that is about it." When the member heard this part of the story, he then said, "Well, back up a few steps, how did you decided to go there that day, what lead you to go and do finding there?" I replied, "Well, I called the other Elders and had them look at their map and I asked, `where do you think we should go, North or South?´ They replied, ´South.´ I told them that I felt the same. I then read out a few names of Places: `Danzenberg, Hohenecken, Kirchenbach, Obernheim, or Queidersbach´ as these were the closest to Kaiserslautern, and not a huge driving distance, less than five miles. They then told me that they didn´t really know for sure. Mainly because they hadn´t really been outside of Kaiserslautern to know, but Elder Weng and I suggested Queidersbach, and they agreed on that. Then, once we got to Queidersbach, I´d ask, ´okay, where do you think we should go?` Well needless to say, we were lead to a certain part of the town where we all decided to park the car, and split up and start finding. Coming back to the last part of this story, timing was incredible, and it was guided by the hand of the Lord. We were all inspired to go where we had gone. It wasn´t until the very last few minutes that the greatest success came. Often on my mission I have wondered why this was the case. I mean, come on, we were inspired to go there, but why can´t we just find them right away? Do I need to work on my Patience, or my Love for the people; or, is it to see if the Lord can see if he can trust us? I couldn´t tell you, because each situation is different. At the end of the day, we can definately say that we were at the right place at the right time.

Now, a week later, the German Elders turned Austin over to us because he is American, so Elder Weng and I had the opportunity to teach and meet with him on Wednesday. The German Elders had given him a Book of Mormon to read, and challenged him to read it. By the time my companion and I met with him, he had already read the first 15 chapters of the Book of Mormon in one week! He told us he wants to come to church again, and he really wants to find out the truth for himself. He recognizes that he needs it. Among other things, he struggles with his group of friends, drinks and smokes, due to the culture here in Germany. This is like finding a kid just about Erik´s age, only one year older. Erik, be grateful for what you have! I have to say, this kid is awesome, and he reminds me of you. He is pretty smart!

Aside from all of that, our week went okay. We had a great time, aside from the sickness. We visited several inactives again, and over the past months, 7-8 of our families have been coming to church nearly every week. One family in particular came 3-4 times a year, and they have been coming just about every week for the last month and a half. I wouldn´t say it is just due to our efforts. They themselves have done most of it, as well as the ward. It has just been amazing to see. It isn´t any wonder to me that when people are invited and are cared for, they feel loved and want to come to church and to church activities. The church isn´t about selfishness, it is about selfless service, and I love that part. We all have imperfections, but we can always recommit ourselves to the effort and do better!

I hope that you all have a great week, have patience, the time will come, but endure......please, for just a little longer! I love you all a bunch. Be strong.

Mit herzenvoller Liebe,
Elder Smith

No comments: