Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dreamin'

Dear Family,
Dad, first off, I am doing okay, and second, I can´t fly in airplanes, but it would be cool if I could! The work is going along pretty well though. We have been working a lot with the people here in the ward and with the investigators that we have. Fred is still doing well, however, he just moved closer to Kaiserslautern, and he needed a bit to get settled in, at least that is what he said. We are doing all we can to get another appointment set up with the Number´s Family so we can teach him again. He really likes what has been said, however, he is struggling a lot because he hasn´t seen his family for months, and they can´t come out here to see him due to work and school. They will be coming this summer, but for someone who has already been here for some time now, that can seem like an eternity away! So, we are also trying to cheer him up as well, and I think just being around the Number´s a lot, has helped.
I had this crazy dream this week about Schwester Schmidt from Saarbrücken. I was in a church building and it was full of people that I knew and recognized from my mission here. As I said a lot of hellos and saw several people, one person in the crowd caught my attention. When I actually had a glimpse of who it really was, and as I was heading there, Schwester Schmitt came running up to me and put her arms around me and said "thank you" and "I am so glad to see you!" I really had no idea what this meant, but it was one of the most peaceful feelings that I have ever had. But then the thought came to me that I hadn´t had any contact with her for nearly a year now, and because she is 85 now, and it was a terrible winter, I dreaded the fact that she might not be living any longer. I can´t give her my address as a missionary, and I have been incredibly busy that I just seem to forget to stay in contact. As this thought of this dream and the thought of not being in contact for a long time, I decided that I would call her and see what happened. I did a few days ago in the morning. She picked up the phone and said the usual "Schmitt, Guten Tag!" and then I replied, "Hallo Schwester Schmitt, hier spricht der Elder Smith!" She was absolutly thrilled! She and I talked for about 10 minutes, but in those ten minutes, I had found out that she still remembers and thinks about the missionaries a lot, that she still reads in the Bible, the Book of Mormon every day, as well as some of the pamphlets that we left with her. She still has her beliefs of course, but she said that she was very grateful for what she learned, and thinks often about it. She told me that I was also the only one who has made any contact with her since leaving Saarbrücken so long ago. I also found out that she had hurt her arm during the winter, and has physical therapy weekly, but when I called, she said that she was cleaning, and had to clean regardless of that! This women has so much energy for being 85! Anyway, that was a great experience, and I have also learned that we are literally friends for life. Once you know a German, they will never forget you. It was like I had never left, she knew at once who I was and it was one of the happiest moments of my mission. I know that although she hasn´t yet made the step to baptism, that we had impacted her life nonetheless.
I love this work and all of these wonderful experiences in my life. I can´t even begin to start and count the blessings that I have recieved, and I am so grateful for them.
Also, Dad, thankyou for the advice on Law, I guess I´ll look more at that later, however, the thought and feelings are still there, but, everything is still one big "I don´t know for sure" right now. I love this work, and I wish it could just go on forever, and I don´t want to accept the fact that it is coming to a close fast. And I hate being reminded of it! But, the mission will never be over, after this mission anyway, only the devotion and the time that I have dedicated to the Lord here in Germany, will be.
I hope that you all have a great week and keep smiling. Enjoy your time in Florida and enjoy spring break! Be strong, and vigilant, and be close to the spirit! I pray for you every day!
With Love,
Ihre Bruder und Sohn,
Elder Smith

No comments: