Saturday, May 26, 2012

Memorial Day Saturday

We had all kinds of productive plans for today but they got postponed due to weather. We did get the greenhouse "tents" made for the garden. Will have to post pictures after we get them placed on Monday. Steve is quite ingenious when it comes to that kind of thing. I am determined to have a successful garden this year! The last time I got my hair done, I picked Jeanina's brain to learn how she has such a successful garden every year. She told me what seeds she bought and how long the growing season needs to be for different seeds. I came home and created a Word Document with her tips. (I love creating lists!) I then got out my Square Foot Gardening book and created another Word Document for garden planting directions. I feel so ready to plant now! I have learned what plants I need to start from seed early next year and then transplant them so I don't have to buy plants.

It was freezing cold outside today while we were building the tents. We built 6. We then worked in the planting beds for awhile. We are clearing out the old bark, spraying weeds, putting down new weed barrier over the old weed barrier (don't get me started on our weed barrier issues . . . I'm just a little bitter : ), and covering it with new bark. It smells so good. Just like being in the forest!

The weather today almost reminds me of the weather four years ago when we moved into our home on Memorial Day weekend, only it was worse then.  We moved during a snowstorm! It did snow for just a bit today, but luckily we were working on our tents on our covered patio at that time.

I will post pictures of it all after the weekend.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend. May we all remember those who have passed on before us and the legacy they left behind!

No comments: