Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Oops, I Did It Again!

Signed up for university classes, that is! The kids are all getting registered for school (I have my two adult children living with us, plus Julia, the niece who lived with us while she was in high school) and they are all talk, talk, talking about classes and credits. Sunday, Steve said to me, "well, everyone's registered for classes but you, hon." That got me thinkin' . . .

Actually I was thinking before that. On our way to St. George last Friday, the girls and I stopped by UVU Wasatch campus so that Holly could register for classes. She had been having problems trying to log into her account, so I just decided to stop in on our way. She spoke with an advisor who helped her with the process. I went back to join them about 10 minutes into the conference. He asked if I was a student there because I looked familiar. I have never had any interactions with him, but had seen him when I attended school there previously. I did not go to Spring semester or summer school, so it has been awhile. Honestly, it seems like forever. I told him that I needed to speak with him about Math when Holly was finished. I took the Math Accuplacer test probably October or November of 2009 but did not start on my math right away. At the time I took the first placement test, I placed in Math 990 (one level below college entry math). When I went to register for that class the following semester, I was told that they had changed the placement levels from when I first tested and that I was one point below qualifying for Math 990 and that I would have to start in Math 950. Ugh! Talk about frustrating . . . I had finally mustered the courage to start on my math, but felt like they had done the "bait and switch" trick on me! The advisor on Friday suggested re-taking the placement test. I truly did qualify for Math 990 which means I don't have to waste time and money on a class that I really don't need. I do keep second-guessing myself, though, with thoughts of the class being too hard.

The advisor, Mike, did a tracking plan for me to see what it would take to get my Associate's degree. I need 18 more credits, 15 after this semester. Woohoo! I was just planning to take one class at a time while plugging along with my math, but Mike told me he was certain I could handle another class, so I registered for a Biology class, too. Seven credits, but only the 3 from the Biology class will count toward graduation. We'll see how it goes.

Mike printed off my schedule for me and I asked him if he printed off my degree tracker. He said he did. I also asked if it showed my GPA. He looked at my GPA and said, "wow, a ____. You could apply for a scholarship." I said, "Really? Do they give scholarships to part-time students?" He told that they did, indeed, give "partial" scholarships. Cool! When I told Steve about it, he said to get right on that. I do know that after my last semester, I received an email telling me that I made the Dean's List. So much better than I ever thought I was capable of. Go me!

I am now a student at UVU again--taking 7 credits. Math will be MTRF and Biology will be MW right after Math. I am not nearly as nervous as I was my first semester back after almost 30 years. I am excited about it!

1 comment:

Effie said...

Hey Jana,
Are you still out there??? I have missed your blogging your exercise. I am patiently waiting for your most awesome example! Love ya, Effie
It was so great to get together this summer. :)