Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Life is Great in Kaiserslauten

Here is another great letter from Jaren. I feel like I have to apologize for the length of it, but I won't. Just know that it is long and will take a few minutes to read. I have to put in a disclosure for his opening paragraph. . . all I did was mention that dad leaned over to me in church and said, "Jaren has just over 90 days left," so that's where his opening sentence is coming from. The rest of the paragraph is referring to pictures I sent from the weekend. My sister and her husband had their adopted baby sealed to them on Saturday and then blessed on Sunday. You can see that Erik is a whole head (and maybe shoulders) taller than my sister. . . but then again she is only my height! And the confusion about Holly and me. . . we have similar haircuts, but of course my hair is curly and it was just a head shot.

Dear Familie,

Thanks for reminding me how much time I have left! It´s freaking me out now! Everyone has changed a lot!!! It still seems like Erik is still the size he was when I left, and then to see the pictures, it was unbelievable! And I got confused with Holly too! I had to look hard for a few seconds before I realized it wasn´t Mom! And Dad, well, he just looked like he was staring off into space. But it sounds like it was an amazing weekend for all of you!

I´m not quite sure what to say really, other than the work is going very well. Each week seems to be a little better than the last. We of course experience our good and bad days within the week, but we always seem to be doing better than the last.

I really love it out here, and even though time is very short, it just doesn´t seem real that it must come to an end. I mean that in a very good way! I have done a lot of looking back recently and have noticed how long ago it really was that I was in Hanau, and the things that I experienced while I was there, and then Saarbrücken and most recently, Duisburg. They are all unforgettable in their own way. I really love it all. I realized how many people I have met, I have spoken too, how many I have taught and have helped along the way, and I just feel amazed at the Love Christ has for all of his children. I have recently been reading the Easter Story as Easter is approaching and have thought a lot about it. One verse sticks out more than others at this time. Tying all of these stories in, both from the book of Mormon and the Bible, I am utterly amazed! In Alma 7:12 ( I´m pretty sure it is 12) it says that Christ suffered these things that he could learn to succor his people. Elsewhere in the scriptures it says that Christ hath decsended below them all; all of our infirmities, sicknesses, diseases, death, fears, doubts, troubles, pains, hunger, and healed diseases, sicknesses, the deaf, the blind, and showed his love for all who wanted him to be their savior. In Doctrine and Covenants, while Joseph Smith was in prison, he recieved the following revelation. He was grieved by the troubles and turmoils of the saints and pleaded with Heavenly Father on their behalf, even asking why such things must happen. The Lord comforted him with this statement. "I the Lord hath descended below them all, art thou greater than he?" I no longer see this as a chastisment, but of comfort, as if saying "Joseph, (or anyone) you don´t have to go through these things on your own, I have already done it for you, just have faith and you will get through. I am on your right hand and your left." By this time I had already read the four accounts from Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. All have different things to add to the story, but the facts are all the same. Christ allowed these things to happen "to fulfill all righteousness" and to show us his infinite Love for all those who come unto him with a broken heart and a contrite spirit. I love the Lord and the many blessings that he has given me. I love this work! I was reading in Mosiah 2 this morning and read the part where King Benjamin starts his address, and about half way through the chapter tells us to give thanks to the Lord for all we have, even our very "being." We aren´t even as much as the dust of the Earth he says, because even the dust was created by his hand. He finishes up by saying, all he really asks of us is to be obedient till the end of our lives and to seek after him.

We also had an incredible experience this week with a ten year old. We went by on this lady who invited us to come back two weeks later, and on Saturday we did. She wanted us to come and teach her ten year old son about life after death, because, as she put it "I don´t know what to say to my son, he just keeps coming home with these questions from his bible class, and he can´t get them answered." She is a really funny lady though, but was serious when she told us this. We brought a member of our ward with us, and she let us in and we sat down. She called in her son, who sat down with us at their kitchen table. Within seconds his mouth opened, and he said, "What happens when we die? Where was I before I was born? How old is the oldest church?" and then his mom looked at us and started to appologize, and looking at her son said "Justin, take it easy, some questions can´t be answered okay!" What a wonderful opportunity it was to say that we could answer every single one of those questions, and to say it with firm conviction! The member we brought with us looked at this kid and his mouth just dropped wide open and he couldn´t shut it! This came from a 10 year old kid!!! This is Tanner we are talking about! It taught me that I greatly underestimate the knowledge these kids have. I almost felt like asking, who told you to ask these questions?! But it was clear it didn´t come from us or from his Mother, or Father. The mother added her little tid bit of information saying that in the last ten years there hasn´t been one year where they haven´t had to attend a funeral of a loved one in the extended family. This kid also wanted to know what happened to them and where they went. They were so grateful at the end of our lesson. All I can say is that the plan of Salvation is completely true, and especially at this time of year we feel that more than ever. We don´t walk in complete blindness, we have a plan. Although we don´t know what life was like before the earth came into existence, we do know that we have a body, that we are here now, and that people die and move on to a better world after. The scriptures are full of that.

As far as Fred goes, he continues to progress. He wants to be baptized, he is just concerned about what his family will say, and with them not being here at the moment, it is difficult. But he expresses deep gratitude and desire, and thanks us over and over for what we have taught him. The Numbers have also been a great help as well. We continue to teach him, and he continues to amaze me. We talked a little about church government last time because he had questions about callings. He witnessed the second counselor in the bishopric be released and a new counselor called. When we explained that it is all through priesthood authority that anyone is called in this church, and that they are sustained, he said "That is absolutly amazing. Most people would do it to get gain, or to have power or influence over the people, but you don´t see that at the head of your church!" It really is amazing that no one is paid, or influences another that they are the best for that position. They are simply called to that position by God, and by their faith they fulfill their callings only for the benefit of serving others. Amazing!

Before I go, I´ll answer your questions:
Q. Are you still teaching Fred? Where in the U.S. is he from and how long has he been there?
A. He actually comes from Chicago. He has a great accent! He has now been here in Germany for about a month now. His family should come to visit in the summer sometime.

Q. When you say there are American products on the base, does that mean you don't have access to them because you can't get on the base?
A. I can get on the base, but someone else has to buy them because they are only there for those who work in the military. I don´t have a military I.D. so I of course can´t do that. People offer to get things though, and we pay them back for it.

Q. How long has Elder Christensen been out?
A. He has been out for just a little over a year now.

Q. Who drives the car?
A. We both trade off frequently. He drives more than I do right now, just because I am still getting used to the area and where everything is at. We have to memorize town names and where they are because our area is huge.

Q. Do you have laundry facilities in your aparment?
A. We have a washer and a broken dryer, but yes, we have them.

Anyway, Hope you all have a great week and I´ll hear from you soon, next week I guess. Stay strong, pray hard!

Mit liebe,
Ihre Sohn und Bruder
Elder Smith

No comments: