I was going to title this letter, "Carry On, Carry On, Carry On!" but I have already given that title to a letter. I think I remember getting a letter not that long ago with those same words, from this same son! I can only use that title once, you know. I hope you all enjoy the letter. Just over five months to go. . . but who's counting?!?
Dear Familie,
Well, Elder Heller and I had a slower week this week, but still much better than many of the weeks before. We didn´t have any new investigators this week, but we had a lot of appointments. We also had a lot of appointments fall out due to problems or schedule issues that came up with those we have been teaching. But, the work continues to go forward. Like I said last week, we did a lot of work in our area, and turned it over to the bishopric, who were very happy about the information to say the least! Bruder Börgartz told us that he likes having a house of order and that it was great, and they are very pleased with the work that has gone on lately overall with new investigators and inactives. Elder Heller and I had a very interesting experience last Sunday that topped all of this work off. Br. Börgartz came up to us and told us he wanted to meet with us and our mission leader. We sat down and explained that it wasn´t bad news, but that we needed to write out exactly what happened as we went by on those who wished to leave and then sign as witnesses because we both had seen and heard from their own mouths that they wished to leave. Br. Börgartz then explained that we have enough confidence in your word as a bishopric that this is what they wanted, so, as long as you heard it yourself, you both can sign as the witnesses to the event. Basically "The Law of Witnesses." Never thought I would do that on my mission because I have been called to help bring people closer to Christ. But, if you read in Jacob chapter 5 about the Allegory of the Olive tree, the servants were sent to prune and graft and make the trees stronger. The last words that Br. Börgartz said to both of us was this was a good learning experience for the two of us. It sure was. So that was what we did in that part this last week.
As far as Sakina goes, she continues to do well. True the laser therapy has helped, but it doesn´t get rid of the habit of picking things up and putting them in your mouth. She has some problems with that, but the cigarettes don´t taste good to her anymore. I guess the best way to describe it is by "Thumb." "Thumb" is what we used to stop sucking thumbs or fingers. It made it undesirable, and eventually got rid of the habit. So it is with this in a way. She is still working on getting rid of that part of the habit, but she does it mainly without thinking, and then notices and throws it away! She tells us how annoyed and frustrated she is with herself and this habit, but her willingness is still there.
We also witnessed another miracle this week with Sakina that had to do with her family. Her daughter, Aldiana, has had some major problems, spiritually speaking, which has caused her to become inactive for a long time. This has also bothered Sakina. Aldiana was baptized two years ago by Elder Norton and his companion, and they also taught Sakina. Sakina noticed this problem, and has desired the best for Aldiana, and in the time that we have taught her (Sakina), the visiting teachers have helped with Aldiana. Well, Aldiana came to church this last week and bore her testimony and felt the spirit as she bore her testimony! I had never met Aldiana and didn´t recognize her when she bore her testimony, but she bore her testimony right before I bore mine. When I bore mine, I told the ward that I have witnessed many great miracles happen since I have been in Duisburg, without realizing this huge miracle right before my eyes! Unfortuately, Sakina missed it because she was sick, but we met with her later and told her about the things we saw and heard and she just started to cry, got on her knees and thanked the Lord for the miracle, and answer to her prayers. I am completely convinced now how much strength comes from the gospel, and the way that it binds families together. This family was very broken before, and I have seen so much growth and strength from both Aldiana and Sakina. Aldiana has no idea though that her mother is investigating the church. We asked Sakina about that, and she was not concerned at all. She has recognized how much the gospel has brought in her life, and she is grateful from the bottom of her heart. So, aside from these things, we have noticed a ton of progress with Sakina since we first began teaching her. And, smoking is the hardest thing right now, but she is also so close to overcoming it once and for all. She loves the Book of Mormon, and loves praying, and loves Church, and is trying her very best.
As far as our other investigators and less actives go, all is pretty well. We tried to get ahold of Josef Termath again this week, but when we couldn´t reach him we decided that we should go by on him and see if he was doing okay. When we got there and rang the bell, he came to the door limping. He had a problem with his fillings the week before in his teeth, and in the few days before we came by, he dislocated his knee while falling down the stairs! It was a rough week to say the least! We will call him tomorrow and set up another time to meet with him.
Herr and Frau Zugehör are also doing well. We paid them a visit to set up a time to meet with them this next week, and as we talked for a few minutes, they both told us that they seriuosly had thought about what we had said to them the visit before, and that it all made sense to them, they were 100 percent sure, according to Herr Zugehör. He is a very smart man, and wants to be sure of things, or think of it rationally before making a final decision. So, to hear both of them say that was huge! They both want to come to church. We just need to help them understand that knowledge left dormant, or without continual nourishment, leaves and becomes weak. It is continual edification that keeps our testimonies strong.
Aside from all of this, our week wasn´t too bad. I have learned so much, and continue to grow each day. I love this work! I´ll try to answer the questions before I forget:
Q. Have you heard anything from/about Elder Norton since he's been home? (look at that, I remembered!)
A. Not too much. I know that he will be in Holland in May for training, and will probably visit some places while he is there. But that is about it.
A. Not too much. I know that he will be in Holland in May for training, and will probably visit some places while he is there. But that is about it.
Q. What are you doing for p-days these days?
A. Not much. It has been hard to do stuff here because its still cold, there aren´t many parks, thats about all there is here. We usually end up playing games with the other Elders. If there were castles around I would do that, but there aren´t!
I love you all, have a great week, and work hard!
Ihre Bruder und Sohn,
Elder Smith
1 comment:
Ah, LOVE his letters!! I can't BELIEVE he comes home in FIVE months!!!
NOW is when you need to put that "counter down" thing on your blog! :)
Post a Comment