Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Attack on the Birthday cake!

I was working on a graduation gift for Holly in my den late this afternoon when Tanner came in to ask if the cake was one he could have. I told him yes, it was. I could hear him in the kitchen getting himself a snack like he does every afternoon after school.  I could even tell you what he was making for his snack by the sounds I heard. The next thing I know is Holly went into the kitchen for a minute before heading out to an early YW activity. I heard her say, "who took a piece out of the cake?" I said, "no one." She insisted someone took a piece out of the cake. Tanner was totally silent. I went out to investigate (because that's my specialty!) and there was, mysteriously, a piece of cake missing! And this is what I saw:

            At least there wasn't a mess

            And look at that cutting job!

Okay, most of this missing chunk was caused by the top touching the cake before we even had the cake out of the store. . . but the yellow decorations were still in tact. . . Before Tanner

The child even cleaned off the cake cover WITH HIS FINGERS!

There were almost tears when Tanner thought I was angry with him. I tried joking with him about it and he didn't think it was very funny.

When I went to my purse to get the camera, Tanner said, "Oh, you're not going to blog about it, are you?" I said, "well, yes, I am. This is a pretty funny story." When he heard that, his disposition immediately changed and he said, "well, then I want to be in the picture!" This is the shot I got and thought it was very appropriate. It left us no option but to finish off the rest of the yellow piping around the cake. We then called it 'the naked cake.' It was finger-lickin'-good!

I realized when I told Tanner the cake was one he could eat, I meant as far as his allergies were concerned, but he thought I was giving permission to dive right in. At least he was tidy about it! 

1 comment:

Cristi said...

HA! That is SO Tanner! I love it!!